Heading south from Brunswick, Ga. around Feb 1

Started by Bonzai, December 22, 2012, 09:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonzai

Thinking of making for Bahamas for about a month or so...then...well I haven't decided where to after that. Possibly head back north to cruise East Coast/New England for summer. Plan to find marinas along way to park boat and go home for a couple weeks or so at a time. Anyone have advice or info it is appreciated as always. May have room for one or 2 crew for those who might be interested and experienced. Other than the trip from Titusville to Brunswick this will be my first good trip. I understand the weather gets pretty nasty for heading back north in the spring...anyone know about when this occurs? Guess there's always the ditch  ::) but things would have to get pretty ugly before I would go that route. So what say ye?

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Bonzai on December 22, 2012, 09:45:56 PM

Possibly head back north to cruise East Coast/New England for summer.  Plan to find marinas along way to park boat and go home for a couple weeks or so at a time. ...So what say ye?

There are plenty of anchorages along the East coast to leave a boat safely for a couple of weeks.  Is there a compelling reason to spend $$ on marinas for this purpose?

Guess there's always the ditch  Roll Eyes but things would have to get pretty ugly before I would go that route. So what say ye?

Depending upon what you are after...what experiences you want...the ditch can offer a lot of beautiful cruising grounds.  As a "highway" to get from Point A to Point B, it would not be my first choice.  Much quicker to go outside.

But, there's a TON of stuff to do/see along the ICW.  There are many side creeks/rivers, gunkholing, there are all manners of small, historical towns (and many remain very boat friendly), peaceful anchorages, etc.

When you get to NC, you could spend weeks/months/years exploring Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds and their attendant rivers and towns.  SC has much to offer as well.  Most boaters on the ditch just fly right by...focused on a destination and miss incredible cruising grounds.  It's their loss.

Not every section of the ditch is highrise hotels and low bridges.

So, as usual, "it depends."   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bonzai

Hey Cap! Thanks for the reply. I am looking forward to heading up the coast this spring. I would love to find good, safe anchorages where I could anchor and lock up for a couple weeks but not at all familiar yet with where I can and where I cant so figured would be mostly marinas til I get to know the coast and some good boaters better. Boat could be left long periods at anchor, got great ground tackle and good wind/solar charging to keep batteries up. My experience with Fl intracoastal was pretty limited. Not saying it doesnt have its attractions for folks looking for a good slow cruise thru the backwaters, I am now looking for ocean sailing to prepare me for trans Atlantic trip so want to stay outside whenever possible. good or bad long as not toooo bad...lol. I will save the inside stuff for when I get tired of this boat and go back to my shallow draft trailer sailer. I am sort of an adrenaline junkie so going for the big bubbles first! ;D ,,,CYU out there!

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Bonzai on December 25, 2012, 09:43:26 PM

I would love to find good, safe anchorages where I could anchor and lock up for a couple weeks but not at all familiar yet with where I can and where I cant so figured would be mostly marinas til I get to know the coast and some good boaters better.

Any of the usual cruising guides should get you started with some suggestions.  I've noticed that not all 'good' anchorages are thus listed, though.  Sailfar-ers can certainly help fill in the gaps with additional recommendations.

I left my boat anchored for 18 months in Georgetown, SC - the longest completely unattended period within that window was 5 months.  There are quite a few other places I'd do the same.

As to where you CAN and where you CAN'T, the only place I know you cannot legally anchor is within a navigable channel. We are not Florida!   ;D  Other than that, it has to satisfy your standard, as skipper, for good holding and good protection.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bonzai

Thats pretty amazing Cap. I am very glad to hear that's still possible. I am going to buy recent cruising guide right before departure, also going to talk as much as possible with other boaters while anchored or in marinas on way up coast. I have looked many times at Cruisersnet anchorage guide. It has some great info as well as charts of the anchorages to get idea of depth and layout. Anchorage ratings and reviews that are very helpful, etc. Gonna be whole new experience for me and am looking forward to it to say the least. While traveling I hope to anchor all the time except when at town docks that have free docking while exploring towns. My big concern was leaving boat unattended for 2 wks. while we go home for a bit . Don't want the grandkids to forget who we are...lol. Thanks and hope to cross wakes some day! We keep a well stocked liquor cabinet and I owe you one!

marujo_sortudo

Well, we may be coming to Brunswick in a week or two and staying put for a month (if not Brunswick than probably St. Marys.)  We've come from Brooklin, Maine to Charleston, SC with one marina, one paid mooring, a free mooring, half a dozen free docks, and more anchorages than I can count.  Heck, the marina only made the list because of how devastated NYC Harbor was after Sandy and a Nor'easter was blowing in.  Marinas are wicked expensive  for transients :o, and I'd be glad to give you a run down on the coast and the resources we've used.  There's lots of the ICW that's worth exploring and plenty that's skippable, too.  Why not do a mix of both?  After Norfolk, there's really no ICW to speak of (though there is the Chesapeake if you go that route, so you'll get plenty of offshore time no matter which way you go.)  Lots of portions of the ICW are way more exciting than FL, especially NC.  Worth a slip through there to avoid Hatteras, plus if you're set on using marinas, some of the cheapest on the East Coast are on the NC ICW.  Oh, and you can sail a good bit of the NC ICW, especially if you go inside/outside and do Ocracoke and Manteo.  The Capt'n is giving you some good advice there.  ActiveCaptain is another great, free, on-line resource for anchorage info.

Bonzai

Thanks Marujo for the good info. If you decide you are coming to Brunswick we have a good anchorage right off of the marina docks here and I would be happy to help out with anything you need help doing here. I am getting to know the people and can help with transportation/local info while you are here if needed. I am on the Frederica River here right behind St Simons Island.  PM me for phone number if u want it. Cyu out there!

marujo_sortudo

If the weather is kind enough to us, it looks like we'll be arriving in Brunswick either late on the 10th or sometime on the 11th otherwise.  Doing a little offshore run from Charleston.  We've actually decided to splurge (for us) on a month-long marina stay (our second marina stay ever) and enjoy hot showers, easy access to laundry, town, etc.  So we can rest, telecommute, easily do boat repairs, and the like.  Brunswick was one of the most interesting sounding places that had a marina within our budget, so here we come.  After that, it'll be back to living on the hook and hunting for free docks.  We'll be parked at Brunswick Landing Marina when we get there, so I'll PM you my cell # or you can just drop by if you're in the area sometime.

Cheers, C