Anchors, anchors again, & more anchors....

Started by Mr. Fixit, January 06, 2006, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

I think the monster treble hooks would be even less inflatable friendly than the 4# danforth. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Lost Lake

Quote from: Lynx on January 09, 2008, 04:15:39 PMget a bigger anchor and 50 feet of chain, a few guides and take off.

How big of an anchor does my CP19 need? Do I determine anchor size by weight? Loaded I'm probably less than 3500 lbs.

CharlieJ

On our 21 footer I carried a 16 pound Bruce with 29 feet of chain  then nylon. Something around that size should do fine for your Compac. Backup was a 9 pound Super Hooker, with another 25 feet chain and 200 feet of nylon

On Tehani  on the bow we carry a 22 pound Claw and 75 feet of chain,  then nylon- we figure her loaded displacement at 7000-7500 pounds or so

But another point- when we are away from here, we carry four anchors and four rodes.

The 22 pounder on the bow, chain and rode

A 12 pound Hi tensile Danforth, with 25 feet of chain, 200 feet of nylon

A 16 pound folding Northill, with 25 feet of chain and 150 feet of nylon.

Then we carry a tiny 4 pound Danforth with a couple of feet of chain and 50 feet of 3/8s. That's to stop swinging, position the boat into the wind, etc.

We also carry spare chain and another 150 feet of nylon, just as extras

For cruising here, we leave the Northill at home.

Note that that gives us 3 distinct TYPES of anchors- no anchor will work in EVERY bottom, so you need a couple of varieties, just in case. For example, a Danforth is a great anchor, but not in grass or weed, and I would NEVER sleep anchored to a single Danforth- I do NOT trust them to reset always.

Others know this, but a little background for you. I lived aboard a 35 foot trimaran for several years, and cruised the coast from Annapolis, Maryland  around to Galveston, Texas. The last year I lived on the boat she never touched a dock- we were ALWAYS on our own anchors From Jax Florida down into the Keys and then around to here.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lost Lake

So my next anchor should be a different type!

I have two Danforth anchors, a 13 and an 8. No chain.

How do you deal with chain? Do you have a big enough hole in the deck that you can reach in? Oh, I suppose once you get the chain started, it will flow into the locker by itself. I could see that. Keeping the rode from tangling in the locker would be a problem. I always have my rode coiled on deck, but with a chain I can't do that.

Now I'm anchor shopping!  I can't wait for the All Sail Show in Chicago!

AdriftAtSea

Danforth type anchors have pretty good holding power, but don't reset well if the current or wind shifts. 

When you're looking for a new anchor, I'd recommend getting one of the "next generation" designs, like the Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, or Buegel.  These have pretty good setting characteristics and work over a wide range of bottom conditions. 

Personally, I have a Rocna, and I've never seen an anchor that sets quite so quickly or well.  Earlier this summer, I nearly dumped a crewmember off the front of the boat while backing the boat down to set the anchor.   The only major problem with it, is that it tends to bring up about 20-30 lbs. of bottom with it.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CapnK

LostLake - On my CP-23 I had a 9# Bulwagga that, though designed for use in rock and weed, worked extremely well for me in the sand/mud/oysters bottom that is typical around here. Another link, with pics.

It worked so well, I plan on getting the 17#'er for this boat eventually, for use as my bowser.

Right now I have 2 Fortress anchors (Fx7 and Fx16, I think they're called, 4 lbs and 12 lb (?) respectively, IIRC), and a folding 10 lb Northill. The Fx7 is the "recommended" model for a boat this size (5120# displacement), the Fx16 is suited for boats 10' longer, and that overkill is just fine for me. Like CJ, I prefer a plethora of anchors of different types. :) Anchors and chain are cheap insurance.

It's rare in my experience that rode tangles in the anchor locker. When I've had it happen, shaking the rode has usually loosened it up enough that the tangle fell out. I keep a 30' minimum length of chain on the anchor end of my rode, and anchor shallow.

IIRC, there are a couple good anchor threads on this board where there is quite a bit of discussion on different brands/types of anchors that we use(d) on our 'smaller' boats. Worth a Search, for sure. :)

There is a *huge* thread at the Pearson Ariel site on anchors, if you want to do more research before plunking down the boatbux.

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

OK- on the chain /nylon and getting it below decks.

I use a 1 1/2 inch deck pipe, which I posted a pic of in a thread here showing anchor rollers. My nylon rode is connected to the chain with a chain splice instead of a shackle- I prefer that because it will feed through a smaller pipe. I've used that set up on several boats now, with good results. WEST Marine sells chain/nylon anchor lines done this way by the way if you don't feel up to doing a back splice.

When the rode goes below it flakes itself, with the chain winding up in the middle. Here's a shot of our previous boat with the door to the anchor rode locker taken off so you can see it. There was NO rearranging done- that's how it went into the locker through the deck pipe, all on it's own.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lost Lake

AdriftAtSea

That's why I have 15 kg Rocna as my primary anchor. :) 75' of 5/16" G4 chain, and 5/8" nylon three-strand for the rode. :) 

Personally, I like my boat to stay where I put it... then move when I want it to. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

AdriftAtSea

CapnSmollet-

A 8 lb. anchor??? That sounds like a dinghy anchor.  Which boat do you have the 8 lb. anchor on???
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

18 foot 1350 lb boat.  It's oversize for that boat.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I'd agree.. :) Given which boats you have, I was just curious...didn't think you had it for your Alberg 30... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Captain Smollett

LOL, no.  But hey, one of the PO's of the Alberg 30 did think a 13 lb Danforth was a good size for that boat.  I almost cried.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

LOL... that's the size of the anchor that came with my boat... not quite as good at giving a good night's sleep as a 33 lb. Rocna. :) It's a good lunch hook, and not a bad kedge...but definitely not bower anchor material.

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 24, 2008, 11:16:48 PM
LOL, no.  But hey, one of the PO's of the Alberg 30 did think a 13 lb Danforth was a good size for that boat.  I almost cried.   ;D

Cmdr Pete—

I don't think it really matters which side you lead the line off, since both are so close to the bow as not to really make a difference.  If you're a righty, you'll probably use the starboard side chock, since that is the easier side to work on... and if you're a southpaw, the port side.  However, your furling line's location would lead me to want to use the port side chocks regardless of handedness, since you don't have to worry about chafe on the furling line and such on the port side. :)

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CharlieJ

well, a 12 pound HT Danforth ( with 25 feet of chain) is what we carry on Tehani- a small 25 footer. I HAVE a pair of 20HT's but they simply will not fit anywhere aboard unless I stow them in the Vee berth and Laura would gripe about sleeping with that. So would I for that matter- she's lots nicer to snuggle with ;D

Our bower is a 22 pound Claw with 75 feet of chain and nylon. OUr third anchor is a 15 lb folding Northill.

But the 12 is a very good size or OUR boat. I sure wouldn't use it on the 30, other than as a lunch hook, or to adjust a swing. We use a 4 lb Danforth as a swing adjuster.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on February 25, 2008, 01:42:12 PM

But the 12 is a very good size or OUR boat. I sure wouldn't use it on the 30, other than as a lunch hook, or to adjust a swing. We use a 4 lb Danforth as a swing adjuster.

I keep it in a cockpit locker with a hunk of line; I've used it for a quick "brake" when I ran out of gas on the ob and had to swap cans quickly and as a kedge while aground.

The boat actually came with two of these; I gave one away and figured it won't hurt anything to keep t'other.  It makes a good #4 for light duty.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

I'm actually looking at getting a 22 lb. Delta for the kedge on my boat, and then keeping the Danforth as a #3 anchor, primarily for use off the stern.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

I posted this update on the Manson on the SSCA forum the other day, thought I would share it here too (it is true now too that we are once again swinging on the manson as I type this.....)

QuoteWe are swinging on our Manson Supreme (#25, with 55' of 5/16ht) as I type this. I have had this anchor for ~ 2 years now and have had nothing but excellent experience with it.

The Manson Supreme is the one Rocna copied*, virtually identical but with a slot added to the shank to assist in recovery from coral (I have never used the slot).

Before we moved aboard we used it for a year in weekending and short trips on the East coast. We moved aboard July 07 and have cruised over 2200 miles down the ICW from NC and then to the Abacos, out islands, Exumas, Berrys, Bimini, and now across Florida with not a single incident of dragging or failing to set. We rode out Hurricane Noel, and while we also had our Fortress out we rode the Manson through 90% of the winds and it held safely.

I dove the anchor many times in the Bahamas, and observed that it set nicely even in a variety of bottom types. We spent many nights in areas listed on the Explorer charts as 'fair' or 'poor' holding and had no trouble.

I like the light weight Fortress as a lunch hook, and carried a larger Fortress as a storm hook but have had wonderful experience with the Manson.

OBTW, there is some marketing bunk out there about trouble with the shank fitting bow rollers. My #25 CQR with it's big knuckle was more trouble to stow then the Manson which would self stow nicely.

To read more about our experience here is a link to the thread on the SailFar.netsite.

I looked at the rocna and the Manson and at the time I looked the price difference was considerable. I understand the rocna is now less expensive but would still stick with the Manson if I were to buy again.

* or copied from the Rocna depending on who's marketing you believe.

For Sailors of Small boats, who sail long distances.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

My friend Ron has both the Manson Supreme and the Rocna... and he says the Rocna holds better...and AFAIK, the Manson Supreme is a copy of the Rocna... that's actually a common marketing strategy for Manson, since many of their other anchors are copies as well.

Yes, the Rocna is a bit more expensive... but now that WM is carrying it, at least you don't have to get clobbered by the freight charges.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 27, 2008, 03:51:12 PM
My friend Ron has both the Manson Supreme and the Rocna... and he says the Rocna holds better...

User GMAC on SSCA (who sells anchors, and has done so for several years) evaluated boat on his boat for 4-5 months and found no difference.....

Quoteand AFAIK, the Manson Supreme is a copy of the Rocna... that's actually a common marketing strategy for Manson, since many of their other anchors are copies as well.

....according to them at least... there are two sides to any story and I have read info to make claims that each was first....

My main point is that the Manson has worked well for me... well enough to recommend it. 

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.