Boarding the dingy from the water.

Started by s/v Faith, January 31, 2013, 10:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

How do YOU board your dingy from the water?  Tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Faith has an old Avon Redcrest, it is not too bad to board since the older style tubes are about 14" in diameter.

I am sailing a larger boat on a extended Virgin Islands trip, and have had trouble getting folks back into the dingy.  Some people, especially women, have a hard time lifting themselves out of the water while snorkeling.  The Turks and Cacos leg of the trip will likely include a fair amount of SCUBA so getting back aboard the dingy will likely be a real issue.

There are the large boarding ladders that seem like they would take up the entire dingy, rope ladders that are hard t use, and other devices that get mixed reviews.

Anyone here fround something that consistently works well in getting people back aboard?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

What kinda  of boat are you sailing?  For SCUBA I would think you will need something substantial to hang over the side if you don't have a platform.

On edit; Duh, that's what I get for responding as I run out the door. you were talking about the dinghy. From the videos it seems the only thing that could help would be a stronger person inside with proper technique to haul the body in.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

SalientAngle

Here is a link to the video of the #1 boat us winner on you tube... there are also videos for #2 and #3 ranked...
http://youtu.be/2_iKIoLSM1I

CharlieJ

Craig- on the inflatable I just hung a loop of line down for a foot hold,

On the new dink, a tiny 6'6" Pram, I better not get out :D

Edited-

Just watched that video. Basically what I did, without the hard step.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

marujo_sortudo

The rope ladder pattern in The Marlinspike Sailor by Smith makes quite a nice and stowable device.

David_Old_Jersey

If you are talking an inflatable RIB then without a boarding ladder then having someone (or 2!) inside is a big help. if the person in the water is wearing a bouyancy aid then bouncing them up and down and then going for entry on a good up bounce does help! Also them using legs to "swim" into the dink rather than the automatic reaction of trying to use their legs under the boat (where of course nothing of any use)......a rope from the other hull will also help for them to self haul........it's a combination of a bit of everything and likely accepting an undignified entrance! Of course if the person is the size of a small whale might need to tow them into the beach  ;D.

But if the RIB is big enough then climbing up the outboard and a transom step can also work.

I presume that they will take the SCUBA gear off first, at least the tank / BCD! - the fins staying on would be a big help in propelling selves in!

rorik

Quote from: CharlieJ on January 31, 2013, 06:27:45 PM

On the new dink, a tiny 6'6" Pram

I'm looking for a pram that size. Do you have a design name, pictures, etc you can post?
Thanks.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

CharlieJ

Do I have pictures??? Oh yes! :D

I've posted 13 days worth of dialog and pictures over on TSBB. Do a search using the words "dinghy comes to life"

But here's a bit of info

It's a MiniPaw dinghy, designed by Graham Byrnes of B and B Yacht Designs, in Vandemere NC. Friend of mine. This is the 8th boat I've built to his designs

http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/

Last one of these I built I had a  pic of me holding it over my head with one hand. ;) So far I've got 13 half days ( or less) into the build

Here's a pic of a finished one behind my previous boat, and the latest shot of the one I'm building. It's built from two sheets of 4 MM Okume and a small amount of solid timber.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rorik

I've seen those plans. I like it, but I really want a pram that's only 6'long. That's the distance between the mast and the forward edge of the companionway.
Been looking at this:

http://store.gartsideboats.com/collections/all/products/6-ft-plywood-pram-dinghy-design-97

If anyone has pictures, or a link to pictures, of one of these, I would love to see them.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

CharlieJ

Looks ok, but you will not like the seating. The Mini, and I'd assume any smaller dinghy, MUST have two rowing stations, with two sets of locks. One for when you are alone, and one for when two are aboard. Or you have a ton of water jugs, groceries, etc aboard. And two bodies are pretty much the limit :D

The rowing thwart on the Mini is that tee shape so you can simply slide back and forth to the best position for leveling out load.

On my previous Mini, I've had a 300 pounder, and myself at 180 (then) and I was almost sitting on the bow.  But we still had a foot of freeboard left.

Not saying don't build that one- it looks as good as the Mini, just investigate altering the rowing thwart.

Or call Graham-his number is on the website - and explain what you want- he just might modify the boat to lose 6 inches. He's REALLY easy to work with.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera