Seacook propane to kerosene conversion questions

Started by Lost Farmboy, February 25, 2013, 03:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Farmboy

I picked up a Seacook gimballed stove, and like others who saw Charlie's conversion, plan to convert it over to kerosene. If I am correct in my understanding, the basic plan is as follows:

-Acquire Seacook type stove
-Non-destructively remove propane burner/valve assembly
-Destructively remove propane burner/valve assembly supports
-Acquire Kerosene pressure stove
-Using either the cooking surface supports or threaded rod in combination with newly drilled holes in the bottom of the Seacook stove, suspend kerosene stove with burner in approximately the same position as the old propane burner
-Mount stove in appropriate location

My questions arise from not having found an inexpensive kerosene stove (the least expensive one that I have seen and might trust is the Butterfly from St Paul Mercantile) meaning that I will be initially mounting and using the stove with propane bottles as the fuel source. The questions are as follows:

With switching from the propane bottles to a kerosene stove, would it be reasonable to expect an increase or decrease in how low the fuel source hangs? (I recognize that there are innumerable different models of kerosene stoves that have been produced but was hoping that a generalization might be made.)

Having measured the swing on this Seacook, it looks like a 2" spacer between the mounting bracket and the mounting surface would permit the maximum possible swing arc. Would this extra arc (fwd-aft) have been beneficial in anyone's experience? Otherwise, it would be preferable to minimize projections and directly mount the bracket to the mounting surface.

Thanks for the help, and Charlie, thanks for the excellent idea for the stove conversion.

CharlieJ

a few years ago Bacon in Annapolis had a tank like my stove, for $45, without the burner. Otherwise, you'll just have to search. James Baldwin used to sell them, but I see he has a note that they are out of stock.

I'd love to find another myself.

Here's what mine looked like before conversion, and one of it finished and in the boat
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rorik

I got the last one James had..  ;D He said he wasn't sure if he was going to make more.

Try here for the stove:

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Lost Farmboy

Thanks for the responses! Guess I'll keep stalking Craigslist and hoping one shows up, or break down and buy a Butterfly from St. Paul Mercantile. I've bid on several on eBay, but they consistently go higher than I am currently willing to pay.

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....