News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Looking at an O'Day 22

Started by Headcase, March 03, 2013, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headcase

I'm going to be land-locked for the near future, but it does not mean I can't have my own money pit. There is one for sale on Grapevine Lake here north of Dallas. It appears to be in pretty sad shape. The dude is asking $800. Not sure what it really has with it yet. Not even sure where I'd be able to work on it yet. Trying to look at it as a growth experience. And hopefully the growths won't need to be treated with penicillin! In a way I'm not really sweating the money, except that it's bread I won't have to spend later on down the road on a better "escape hatch" boat. Of course if you only wait for later you never get to the now...

Cheers
Jeers
random thoughts and comments
If I knew what I was doing, where would the fun be?

Sunset

I helped a friend rebuild a Catalina 22 that was in sad shape, he paid $1500 for it and trailer. He ended up with about $7000 in it.
We did some of the Catalina recommended up grades, completely striped the hull of all hardware. Sanded the whole hull primed with epoxy primer and repainted all topsides with two part paint. We had to cut out a large section of soft deck and repair, rebuild forward hatch also. New stainless motor mount and swim ladder were mounted. A heavy built stainless tubed Bimini from Catalina was added, along with all new cushion's. He had a it completely rewired. All new running rigging and some standing rigging was replaced. New bottom paint and winch for centerboard came next. Refinished all the teak and made new drop boards. A lot of odds and ends also.
Now comes the trailer, he completely rebuilt it, except paint.
All this was labor free. I will have to say he didn't want to cut corners anywhere so he has in reality a new boat to sail, but not an investment that he will ever see a monetary return on.
So depends how you do things and what the boat really needs. If you just want to make a boat safe and usable you can get by much cheaper. If your trying to return her back to her original glory as when she set on a show room floor it takes much more.
He could have easily spent another $3000, but had to draw a line somewhere.
84 Islander 28