SSCA: Seven Seas Cruising Association

Started by s/v Faith, March 30, 2013, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

The Seven Seas Cruising Association is the oldest and largest worldwide organization supporting the liveaboard cruising lifestyle. Founded in 1952 by six liveaboard couples in California and now headquartered in Florida, today?s SSCA remains true to the traditions of its original members: sharing cruising information, fostering camaraderie, and leaving a clean wake.

What are the benefits of SSCA membership?
SSCA members receive the monthly 45-page Commodores? Bulletin, containing reports of latest cruising information as well as announcements of SSCA Gams and regional activities. The indexed, searchable, archived Bulletins can also be accessed online. The SSCA website, www.ssca.org, contains many additional features for cruisers, such as a member tracking map, a Marine Equipment Survey by members, worldwide Port Guides updatable by members, an extensive list of SSCA Cruising Stations who welcome visiting members, and a list of special offers and discounts available to members-only.

Who can become a member of SSCA?
Anyone with an interest in cruising is welcome to join SSCA. Whether contemplating a sabbatical cruise or retirement afloat, outfitting your boat for a voyage, or already living the dream, all are warmly welcomed to join our family of cruising members.

How do I join SSCA?
To join online, click on ?Join Today? from the Home Page navigation bar. Or write to membership@ssca.org to have the downloadable application form emailed to you. For more information, call SSCA Home Base in Fort Lauderdale, FL at 954-771-5660.

-------------------------------

The above are quotes from the SSCA's site.  I have served as a moderator on the SSCA'S discussion forum for almost as long as Sailfar has been around and have really appreciated it.

Are you a member?  If so why?  If not, why not?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

By the way, Dave Auspicious)has been a long time member here and the founder of our Sailfar Cruising Stations...  He is the current whipping boy president of the SSCA.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Auspicious

And I'm here on SailFar, admittedly off and on as the winds blow my life around.

On this subject I am definitely here.

While it is always nice to here good things about an organization one (me) gives so much of themselves to, what I really care is input on where we fall short. We intend to be the foremost supporter of the cruising sailor.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
SSCA President
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

marujo_sortudo

Interesting subject.  I'm a happy SSCA member, but I recently met a cruising couple I really respect (also from Maine) who had just let their membership expire happily.  Alas, they are true sailfarers and have a 32' boat that is outfit to go ANYWHERE and they built up the whole thing from a bare, glass hull.  I think their complaint with the SSCA has been that its membership has been filled with folks basically going up and down the ICW, or folks cruising other easy-to-reach destinations.  They're the type that want to go the different, less traveled, harder way.  They are young, thrifty, and capable.  I feel this myself, but I'm green enough that I hope to learn from everyone.  Alas, he's been sailing since he was a babe (first offshore solo passage at 14...without his parents knowledge/permission,) so it may be a high bar to hit.  They are still waiting for their invitation to the CCA which they do respect.

Auspicious

There is no question that SSCA members on the US East Coast are dominated by ICW cruisers usually headed to the Florida Keys or the Bahamas. So are cruisers in general on the US East Coast. There are exceptions of course.

That's one of the reasons SSCA explicitly recognizes those that cross oceans and girdle the globe.

I regret the couple you met chose to drop SSCA. Beyond the very real contribution such cruisers can make to others, active off-the-beaten track cruisers do tend to meet one another eventually. Perhaps I'll run into them sometime in some gunkhole. I'll be the one anchored further out in deeper water. *grin*
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

marujo_sortudo

No disagreement here, thought you would like to have the data point.

Oh, you probably will be anchored further out, they seem to love tucking into sort of "impossible" places.  I remember one they were reminiscing about that involved putting the primary down in 140' of water and backing the boat up to a shore tie between two cliffs that were very close together....  And yes, they do have the ground tackle for it :)  Or then there was the hurricane hole with an entrance a mere 11' wide, but complete protection inside...