Who's running north on the East Coast now?

Started by marujo_sortudo, April 02, 2013, 07:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marujo_sortudo

We're just north of Beaufort, SC now and heading back home (Brooklin, ME.)  Unlike our trip south when we were definitely coming after everybody else, I'm seeing boats all over the place now.  We probably mix offshore hops with ICW runs, but I'm wondering if any other sailfar folks are out and about to run into.  Who's out there cruising now?

s/v Faith

I am out there.

Georgetown Bahamas right now, slowly headed north from a winter in the Virgin Islands.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Marsh Harbour...heading to Green Turtle-Great Sale-West End-Stuart.....

Depressed.....season is closing for me here :-(
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Cruise

April 15 finds me anchored in Wrightsville Beach, NC. I will spend most of May cruising around N. Carolina and visiting family before sailing further north. S/V Saga
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

marujo_sortudo

Well, we're in Beaufort, NC now.  Laid down a Bahamian moor well up Taylor Creek.  We'll be here for a few more days, then its off to Oriental and if the weather looks promising Ocracoke then Manteo.  Otherwise, Belhaven, and in any case, on to Elizabeth City and probably a night anchored in the Pasquatank or tied up in the Dismal Swamp canal (both favorites from our trip south.)  Hoping for Norfolk by May 1, but will probably run behind schedule.  Planning  for Baltimore by the end of May sometime.  Shooting for either Vineyard Haven, MA or Brooklin, ME by July 4th.

Didn't realize you were on salifar, Keith!  We ran into you in St. Marys and chatted for a bit.  We never did get out to that great Blackbeard Island anchorage you suggested, though.  We had a date with diesel mechanic to rebuild our leaky fuel injection pump and a fair weather window opened up, so we sailed right on up to the Savannah River.  We'd love to have had more time to poke around in those Georgia barrier islands and rivers, though.  Georgia was a favorite of ours and would be an even better place for a lot of smaller sailfar type boats.  If you can drop your mast easily, you can go up more than one river 100+ miles, to say nothing of all the exploring you can do behind the barrier islands.  It's pretty much a birder and fisherman's paradise down there.  Anyway, maybe we'll see you in NC again if our wandering coincides.  Keep an eye out for Mimi Rose and we'll keep an eye out for Saga.

Cheers, C

CharlieJ

Check to be sure the locks on the Dismal Swamp are operating. The were closed "indefinitely" when I came through in  2011.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

marujo_sortudo

Thanks, Charlie.  We came through the Dismal Canal with great depth and no snags in December, but I'll probably call and check as we get closer, just to make sure.

Godot

I should be launching the boat probably in mid May and will hopefully see you guys again around Baltimore. The plan, if all goes well, is to sail to Martha's Vineyard for June 15/16, and a couple weeks back to Baltimore after that. We might stop at the SSCA Essex Gam June 22/23 if the timing works out. With luck maybe we'll run across each other a couple times here and there.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

marujo_sortudo

Sounds great, Adam.  Hope to see you again!

marujo_sortudo

Hey Keith!  Saw you parked at the right outside downtown Beaufort today on our way out.  Getting inland for this little blow.  Oriental tomorrow if all goes well.  Cheers, C

Mario G

We are only a day from Annapolis, setting at St Simon island  out of the nasty gale yesterday. Sorry I can't tell you anything about the dismal swamp due to we came around the Virgina cut but did see boats comming from it as wa passed by its northern channel.