Fairey Atalanta (26) - free and cheap!

Started by David_Old_Jersey, May 09, 2013, 05:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_Old_Jersey

I think I have mentioned these boats before, never had one but always had a soft spot for them. Maybe one day? A real go anywhere boat (skipper permitting) and floats in a puddle of piss, but with the keels down draws around 6'.

Before y'all get too excited  :P, they are made of wood! and around 50 years old. and mostly UK based, but some are in the US of A. The good news is that they are hot moulded hardwood (Agba) veneers, baked under pressure in an autoclave (as was the Mosquito Bomber airframe during WWII - by the same folks at Fairey), so no joints to leak - with wood construction that is as good as it gets. The exception being the transoms which are plywood -  3 guesses how they can go  :(.

Of course after 50 years and multiple owners (of varying capabilities and knowledge and pockets) plenty around that have issues, from basket case upwards. But also some nice ones around (GBP6-8k? / USD9-$12k? - albeit what the prices are in the US for a little known wooden boat is another thing).

The owners association (UK) has a for sale list that includes free and cheap - of course free and cheap always has a cost!

http://atalantaowners.ning.com/page/boats-for-sale

For sale in Canada with more photos:-

http://www.aurorawoodwork.com/Tenga.htm

David_Old_Jersey

Travelnik

I like it!

Unfortunately, I don't have the time and money to put into a nice wooden boat.

I've always liked Uffa Fox designs too.

Maybe someday...

I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Porter Wayfare

If I just had more money I could afford a free boat.  Atalantas melt my heart.
a wooden Wayfarer,  Solje  W1321

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

David_Old_Jersey

Yeah, free always has a price tag  :)

A lot of innovative thought went into her design (early 1950's - but a fair chance she had been on the back of a fag packet far earlier, possibly even during WWII).....if she was designed last week (with a few styling tweeks and mod cons) she would be considered ground-breaking.

IIRC she takes a 4x4 to tow, and a few folks have trailed them down to the Med from the UK and used as caravan enroute! Although I don't remember ever seeing a picture, she was designed to have a dinghy stowed (upside down) on the aft cabin. A few also around that are now powered only by O/b. no doubt due to engine going pop!

Porter Wayfare

The one in west Canada looks terrific.  It would be so much fun!
a wooden Wayfarer,  Solje  W1321

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti