News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

sacrificial strip

Started by Wade, May 16, 2013, 05:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

I have an old genoa in fair shape but no uv protection on the leech. This year I noticed some of the leech edge had shredded. So I reinforced both sides of the leech with repair tape and replaced the folded leech edge as shown on a sailrite video. I replaced the entire leech not just the torn area. Now I am looking at a UV strip. Weathermax seems lighter than sunbrella and I might do that. I saw on another site where a person speaks of painting an ageing sacrificial strip with exterior late paint with good results. LOL, If this is so why not just paint the sail edge? I like the idea of this but wonder about downsides or if it would really work. Has anyone ever tried anything like this. I do believe we often make things way over complicated.   I am bracing myself for the replies, lol.   Wade

rorik

"exterior late paint"?
i dunno.... seems like courting issues with dewpoint.....

and a "UV strip"?
isn't that what the sun is already doing?

I 'spose you could paint the sail edge... as long as it doesn't leech into the rest of the sail.....

;D ;D ;D

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Wade

I need a proof reader. Exterior latex enamel. The other poster stated the decision was based on dacron being painted to provide uv protection on experimental aircraft.

rorik

No, no proof reader. It was more fun this way. When you said you were braced for replies, I just couldn't resist...  ;D
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

s/v Faith

Wade,

Seems to me like the paint would crack bady, but I doubt it would hurt the sail.

Maybe try it as an experiment, take lots do pictures and let us know how it turns out?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Wade

We'll see. I'm about to head out for a 3/4 month cruise on another boat. Maybe I will try it when I get back. I think if I thin the paint and apply it lightly it will retain some flex.  Wade