What Tablet for navigation / What software?

Started by sully75, May 31, 2013, 04:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

And conversely, I've had better luck with Inavx. Navigated a boat into Progreso Mexico from 100 miles out using Inavx and Iphones.

I really should look deeper into Navionics but so far it just doesn't work(for me) as well as INavx.

Of course INavx is a $50 app and Navionics is $10. Might make a difference.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Wade

I opted for the Navionix app. I've been out of town and havn't tried it yet. I'l post back with a review.  W

Wade

I did a short 10 mile wander around the lake today. Navionics did a great job. I couldn't figure out how to find my compass heading but everything else was working and easy to figure out.   Wade

Oscar

I used Navionics on my Android phone two summers ago and it worked well. Last summer I got a Nexus 7 (2012 3G model) tablet with the tablet-optimized version of Navionics, which has been a much more pleasant experience due to screen size. No need to get an expensive Ipad when you can get an Android tablet for much less, especially if you mainly use it for navigation. On the other hand there are more accessories (like rugged watertight cases) for the Ipad compared to a random cheap Android tablet, which might be a selling point.

lance on cloud nine

As an aside, and in the KISS tradition, it is amazing how enjoyable movie watching can be on a smartphone - when the sound is run through the boats stereo - either with a patch cord or blue tooth.
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

John Bailey

iPad with Navionics and couldn't be happier!!

John

Wade

I have the cheapest Android Tablet out there, as far as I know. It has been working Navionics without  any problems and all the others things it does are working well also. My guess is whatever machine you have will run these programs. The chart plotter people must be worried.

CapnK

I've moved my initial Navionics install from/to 3 phones now, and there are times when it does come in handy. This most recent phone is one of the Casio waterproof/ruggedized models. Will have to put it on my HiSense Sero Pro 7 tablet (Android 4.2) and see how it works. My phone screen is a bit better/easier to use and has more detail than my Garmin 76CS, so on a tablet it should be really good, BUT I sure don't want to get the tablet wet! :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Wade

there are waterproof sleeves but i havn't tried them.

s/v Faith

Update:

Still using my ipad with Garmin app....  If anyting could work better, I don't know how. 

The app was free, and all North America downloadable charts for something like 30$....  Works great and just works!

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

John Bailey

Quote from: Wade on November 11, 2013, 06:42:25 PM
there are waterproof sleeves but i havn't tried them.

I've got one and I've even used it a couple of times.  It's a little hard to read and it's hard to use the touch screen when in the case.

Bottom line -- not real sure where it is and I don't miss it.

John