Shark 24...by George Hinterholler

Started by Frank, June 04, 2013, 08:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Not sure if my southern friends are familiar with the Shark 24. It's speed made it a success for Gearge hinterholler and launched him into fiberglass sail boat production. He went on to become one of the founding partners of C&C Yachts and was responcible for several advances in the efficiency of production. Years later, after selling out of C&C, he again went solo building the famous nonsuch series of cat boats as well as the Niagra 31 and 35 sloops. The point of this ramble is it all started with the lil light wieght Shark! The boat was designed in 1959 and is still in production today in Europe!! I don't have current numbers, but older figures put it over 2500 hulls. Average in light air...they will pick up their skirts and plane at over 10 knots reaching when the wind is up!! Below was taken from the Shark Assoc :

"The Shark's prompt success was due in no small part to its early racing
record.  In 1960, Hinterholler crewed for George Steffan, later President
of Mirage Yachts, in the Freeman Cup.  They cleaned up with three 1sts
using brisk 18-knot winds to put a leg between them and their nearest
competitor in the race.
In the 1963 Freeman Cup the Shark did it again.  For small
boats, the course was from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Rochester NY, 80
nautical miles along the south shore of Lake Ontario.  There were no
spinnakers and no genoas on Sharks in those days and the race was
sailed with main and working jib only.

"We thought our biggest competition would be the "Thunderbirds,"
Hinterholler said "but after the first surf, we knew that there would be no
contest.  We barreled down the course in seven hours and 44 minutes."

In 1963, using a spinnaker on a close reach across Lake Ontario, Sid
Dakin, one of the first to own a Shark, sailed the blockhouse Bay race
from Toronto to Olcott, NY, with an adrenaline pumping average speed
of 10.2 knots, beating the 56-footer Innisfree on a boat-for-boat basis.
That sort of speed boggled the minds of sailors unaccustomed to
semi-displacement hulls.

Racing boats come and racing boats go, but the shark remains.  With its
flexible rig and planing abilities, it is as up to date as anything on the
market today.  And, with its low-aspect 7/8ths rig and heavy keel, it has
a sea-kindliness and seaworthiness to match its speed.

Hinterholler admits that the Shark's scantlings are better suited to a tank,
but the proof of his wisdom in overbuilding the boat has been in its
longevity.  Virtually each of the 2,500+ Sharks built in the last 53 years is
still sailing and many of the first hulls off the line are still winning their
share of races.

The Shark is seem sailing happily in all major Canadian cruising waters,
but some owners have taken them much further afield.  In 1972, Clive
O'Connor, his wife, two year old baby and their guitar sailed their Shark
from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Melbourne, Australia.  They arrived in good
form, still speaking to each other and their Shark, at last report, was still
being used for research on Australia's Great Barrier Reef.

Randal Peart sailed his Shark from Windsor and then crossed over to
England, cruised the French canals, and then sailed BACK across and
cruised the Caribbean for a year.  He's still alive and well and eccentric."

The reason I am posting this is, like most here, I dream about boats. A 2200lb boat would be easy to trailer, cheap to store, have small sails so be easy and quick to take out for a quick sail, being so light, she'd be super responsive and in the Sharks case...on a reach in a good wind...super fast/fun!  Only 3ft 2in draft and bonus...a 4hp is nearly overkill.
Down side is limited carrying capacity and sitting headroom.
I saw one once with lifelines and a dodger...looked quite "yachtie"  ;)
Most are stripped and don't even have a bow pulpit.

Anyhoot...neat lil boat to dream about.

As they say...so many boats....so little time   :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Porter Wayfare

I've spent a lot of time looking for boats in Canada.  It's just across the river.  I've been attracted to Hinterhoeller boats since I started looking.  The only complaint I've ever read about a Shark was that it was pretty tight inside.  I've heard that this was somewhat alleviated in what is called Canada's best kept boat secret: the Hinterhoeller HR25. Like the Shark it has an enthusiastic (but small) following.

One for sale right now near Toronto--http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-Hinterhoeller-HR25-W0QQAdIdZ416442290

HR25 SailboatData--http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5104

If 25' isn't enough. there's always the HR28.  They're very nice. Here's one for sale in Ontario--http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-Hinterhoeller-HR-28-W0QQAdIdZ458939094

HR28 SailboatData--http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5764
a wooden Wayfarer,  Solje  W1321

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

Frank

Yep....they are all much bigger inside and sail well too.....but they don't plane  :o ;D ;)

Porter Wayfare

Ah, the shark planes.  I didn't know that.  Planing really ups the fun factor.  My Wayfarer planes well, but lately I've had the chance to sail an Osprey (like a Wayfarer on steroids, I guess) and it squirts across the top of the water.  It even planes upwind!

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

Frank

Ya know...just thinkin...(scary eh)...the whole "day dream" about the shark is this light weight, easy to trailer/store, small sails, small OB, cheap, simple, fast, great sailing and offshore proven boat!!  The 25 n 28 just aren't the same! Wrong "day dream"   :o  Few could really compete based on that criteria

Porter Wayfare

Yes, you are right about the scary part.  I love dinghy sailing but occasionally still think about moving up a bit for the convenience of a cabin.  Now here you come and tell me about the Shark.  Is there no peace?  I think I'll have a look on Kijiji--the Canadian Ebay,  kind of.  Thanks--kind of.

Frank

OK...so, we were anchored at Guana Cay. In sails a lil ComPac 23...drops sail, anchor down, secure, havin a glass of wine in less than 10minutes. Next day they explored ashore and dingy'd around. The following morning they hoisted sails, pulled anchor and sailed away...no muss...no fuss! Hard not to think of a simple small boat that makes this SO easy. Hard not to think of a great sailing responsive Shark  ;D The Compac 23 is a fine boat....but the Shark simply sails SO DARN GOOD!! Can't get that "sail in-sail out" vision outta my mind   ;)

Frank

Here's a link to pictures of a nearly new one. They still make them in Europe! Not bad for a 1959 design!!! Kinda like being able to buy a new Pearson Triton. I don't know any other keel boat that has as many built for as long a run. That alone gotta say something.
http://www.shark24.eu/cms/index.php?option=com_morfeoshow&task=view&gallery=1&Itemid=55
I sailed one close to 30yrs ago. I remember "responsive" the most.
Not big inside....but WAY bigger than a simple "trailer sailor"

Porter Wayfare

Mako

I had a Shark years ago... But now cause off My Old bones have a Niagara 30 it is a stretch Shark with a standing headroom for me (5'8"). Did not plane with it yet :D. But it's fast, only 4000 ponds. First post here and first post in English in my life, i read a lot of your post and i tanks every body who contribute to Sailfar .

Frank

Mako...how did you like the shark? Best features??

Porter Wayfare

rorik

Mako had a Shark...... lol     ;D ;D ;D
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Mako

It was my first boat did like it because it was small and not intimidating,look sport and with a reputation  to be fast, not expensive , durable, a 5 hp move it around , a lot of wood inside ( the older ones ). Didn't race it or get in rough water with it. It's more a race machine than a sailfar cruiser.
There is a lot of shark around Montreal ( Rorik don't laugh please ;) ).

Spell Check is My new friend !

Frank

Thanks Mako. I live in Pembroke....up the Ottawa River about 100 miles west of Ottawa. Not all that far from you.

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

Mako

Frank : My father done is " drill" in Petawawa in the forty's, pass by your place 2 or 3 times by road, Nice river and Beautiful wildlife.

Rorik : my username came in mind when i purchase the Big-Shark (Niagara 30) because the fastest shark is the Mako-shark. I was sure that you will find something strange when i said that there is sharks in Montreal. :D

Frank

It is a beautiful river here! Problem is growing up on it, you never truly appreciate it enough. We took folks out on the Suncat last sunday and they were in awe. We were just in Montreal a few weeks ago. Had dinner at "Gibby's"