Alert for cruisers heading to North Carolina

Started by SalientAngle, July 24, 2013, 07:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SalientAngle

Boat owners living in or visiting North Cackalacky have some changes beginning October 1st.
Boats up to 26 feet will see registration double.
Above 26 feet your registration triples.
Documented vessels must now also register.  The long-standing exemption for registration enjoyed by federally documented boats evaporates with the Sanderson-Brown legislation. Federally documented boats in NC more than 90 days will have to register in NC ? and pay the newly raised registration fee.
Boats registered in other states that are in NC for 90+ days would also have to register here; that particular requirement has been in place before, but appeared to have been loosely enforced. That requirement came to light during the outcry over the Sanderson/Brown legislation.
The legislation was co-sponsored by Pamlico County Republican Senator Norm Sanderson and Onslow Republican Senator Harry Brown. A previous thread on Senate Bill 58 discussion was locked due to my ignorance over what qualifies as politics.
The republican controlled legislature on Jones Street in Raleigh voted strictly by party lines, except about ten republicans that objected to the evisceration of education funds.

CharlieJ

Kinda sounds like Florida.

Got any idea what the new fees will be?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SalientAngle

That's actually the good news charlie, they moderated those fees from the original bill... under 26' will just double to 30.00, and, over 26' will go from 15 to 50...

CharlieJ

Annual?

Tehani costs me $50, but that's for two years, as is Necessity. My 18 foot tri costs the same, and both  trailer's are $50 per year each.

So it costs $75 per yr each for Necessity and the tri, plus $25 yr for Tehani.

That's $175 in boat fees

I gotta  get rid of some boats!!!! ;D

Actually, Necessity is sold, so that's off the plate. ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SalientAngle

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 25, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
Annual?

Yes, yearly. The original bill would have raised some registrations 10 fold.

Adodero

What was their justification for raising the fees so much?

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 24, 2013, 09:06:15 PM

FL is awesome, my registration was $10 last year ;)

CharlieJ

Quote from: Adodero on July 25, 2013, 07:31:34 PM

Must be registered as an antique boat ;) Florida IS really good on that.

Texas allows antique boats to be registered also- Costs $35 to change over the title. And for that you get what? Well, you get to NOT put the annual registration sticker on the bow, but you STILL get to pay the semi annual registration fees, unchanged by a penny.

Of course, NOT putting the sticker on the bow means you get stopped by every game warden and other LEO, asking why you don't have a valid sticker. And some of them seem totally unaware that you can even register a boat as an antique. The main office in Austin had to research it to answer questions!!

Sound real worthwhile to you? Didn't to me either, so my 52 year old antique boat is still registered as it always was. And I saved $35!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Adodero

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 26, 2013, 08:50:46 AM
Quote from: Adodero on July 25, 2013, 07:31:34 PM

Must be registered as an antique boat ;) Florida IS really good on that.

I prefer "elegantly aged" ;D

Yea, she's an antique. Unfortunately, I still have to put that ugly sticker on the side.