Meridian in NJ

Started by okawbow, September 23, 2013, 08:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okawbow

Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

CharlieJ

And would be a great boat when finished.

But then I'm not prejudiced at all ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 23, 2013, 09:19:42 AM
But then I'm not prejudiced at all ;D ;D
Oh no, would never cross our minds...  ;)

Also, just saw an ad re-posted for that sisterboat here in Maine...

Free - Project Sailboat 25' Rhodes Meridian (Peaks Island)
http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/4084638386.html

When I looked at it a few years back, before the current owner got it, I could feel some soft areas on the deck. Still, if you're going to do a deck re-core project, you can do a lot worse than start with a Meridian...

This guy...
http://www.lackeysailing.com/logs.html
...does a great job of documenting and photographing his projects in an archive that includes much recore work...

Such as this Rhodes Swiftsure 33
http://www.lackeysailing.com/waanderlust/june10/60810.htm

CharlieJ

Ah yes. Been there, done that. Recored the side decks and foredeck on Tehani.. Moved chainplates outboard so no worries about THAT anymore. Cabin sides and top are both solid glass, so no soft problems there.

Had planned to spray a coat on the repaired gouges (from an inter action with an oyster encrusted piling) today, but the forecasters lied. It's all ready, so maybe tomorrow.

Hoping to re-splash Tehani before months end.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Yay - rain dissipated. Tehani got sprayed. The Maderia Beach Oyster scrapes are history.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

gbdfa15

Hi, all, first timer here. So be gentle with me.

So, that free Meridian 25 on Peaks Island? It's coming to my yard. Whoever is the patron Saint for crazy people, that's who I need to build a shrine to.

But first I need to rearrange my yard so I can fit the damned thing. Charlie et al, I'm going to need assistance and encouragement now and again, so I'm counting on you.

I figure the first task is to make the repairs so that it can be sailed, then I'll worry about cosmetics, interior furniture and accommodations, etc. It needs deck rebuilding, at a minimum.

Charlie, I'd be curious to ask if you think moving the chainplates had any effect on the masthead failure? I'd also need to ask if anybody has dimensions for a boom, as this boat lacks one.

Once I get the thing here I'll send up pics.

I look forward to this project, and to hearing from any of you who care to chime in.

Thanks,

OB
If at first you don't succeed, you should consider resigning from the bomb squad.

SalientAngle

Quote from: gbdfa15 on September 25, 2013, 04:05:36 PM
Whoever is the patron Saint for crazy people, that's who I need to build a shrine to.
Welcome aboard, plenty of crazies here... a worthy project... personally, I do a novena to St. Jude Thaddeus every Thursday... he would be the patron saint of hopeless cases, of which, I confess, I am one... Cheers, =jim

Frank

OB...welcome aboard and congrats on obtaining a fine sailing boat. You'll probably question your sanity a few times...but in the end will love it!  Have fun. Post pics....
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

gbdfa15

Thanks, Frank. Questioning my sanity is nothing new, though it's generally practiced by my neighbors.
If at first you don't succeed, you should consider resigning from the bomb squad.

CharlieJ

Quote from: gbdfa15 on September 25, 2013, 04:05:36 PM

Charlie, I'd be curious to ask if you think moving the chainplates had any effect on the masthead failure? I'd also need to ask if anybody has dimensions for a boom, as this boat lacks one.

Thanks,

OB

Absolutely zero effect. The cause was undetected rot at the main halyard sheave. One of the better changes I made in my opinion. The companionway rebuild was a second.

I'll measure the boom tomorrow, and if I can get your email address, send you pics of mine when I was building it.

And I'd be more than happy to help any way I can. LOVE seeing another Meridian come back

And if you'll look at the first and second pics in the Tehani galley (  on SailFar) you'll see yours can't be any worse.

http://sailfar.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=20
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

gbdfa15

Thanks, C. I'm not sure what is the best way to get my email to you. Still trying to figure this site out.

I don't think I'll be worrying about a boom til spring. If I get any time to work on it, my first priority will be getting the deck repaired and waterproof. Previous owners drilled a hole in the hull to drain all the snow melt out. Getting coamings and other woodwork back on will come next, then making a toe rail.

I like the idea of moving the chainplates so that they aren't going through the deck. Any other modifications you'd recommend?

Also, what size winches would you suggest? There are apparently none on the boat. I don't intend to race her, just cruise comfortably. Of course, the fact that I am trying to do this on a shoestring adds to the insanity.

Are there other Meridian owners on the East Coast that you know of?

Frank

Soft decks are minor... :o :o  This is about the time you start wondering what the heck ya got into   ;D ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Click on my name-brings up my profile- email is there.

And yeah, there are several. Here's a link to the SeaFarer site on Facebook. At least three Meridian owners there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/seafareryachts/
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jeremy

Welcome, dbdfa15.  I'm a fellow Meridian owner on the east coast (Boston/Buzzards Bay).  Had a fairly major amateur refit (ham handed compared to Tehani, of course), but its been a great boat.  Recoring is honestly not that hard.  If you're going to repaint, don't skimp on the sander! 

One of these days, I'll get around to posting some photos.  Happy to be whatever resource I can be.

Jeremy

By the way, mine's a '63 as well.  Do you know your hull number?

gbdfa15

Hi, Jeremy-

Don't know the hull number yet. I have been told she was built in Holland circa 1962.

Anybody know what she should have for winches? None on the boat.

thanks...

CharlieJ

Tehani carries these. Most likely overkill but I got them as a gift. Smaller would most likely work as I seldom use the handle.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Yep, Dutch built. Tehani is #10, built 1961. DeVries Lentsch, Amsterdam Shipyards

They installed builders plates like this one on the wooden cross piece of the traveler. Tehani's was stolen, but here's what they looked like. Note the hull # 67, built 1962- could well be yours
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Tehani's boom measurements

Boom is 10 feet, 2 inches, NOT counting gooseneck.

It's a box section, 2 inches wide and 3 3/4 deep, with a raised part where the track sits. Here's a pic of the end, before completion
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

gbdfa15

Man, that's beautiful. Did all the joinery yourself?

Now here's a dilemma: it turns out that the boat I am getting comes with a set of sails that doesn't belong to the boat. The guy who is giving me the boat says "no problem getting the sails cut down."

Sounds sketchy to me. So this "free" boat turns out to have no sails, no winches, no boom, a delaminating mast, and I'm betting there is hardware I will need to replace as well. I went through the Hamilton Marine catalogue, and I figure I'm going to be in the ballpark of $3500 on supplies and replacements, including $1000 for a new suit of sails ( main and jib only.) That doesn't even include a motor, mooring fees, and insurance, which would be necessary for any boat.

I'm starting to wonder if this makes sense. I could probably buy a fully found similar boat ( Columbia Contender for sale locally ) for $1500. On the other hand, if I can resurrect this thing, I have a boat that I have been able to outfit the way I want it. ( Which may cost well over $4k before I'm through.

Any thoughts on the sails cut down issue? Good places to find used sails/hardware? I don't need to outfit the interior for next year, just want to get it on the water and sailable for 2014.