the right boat for Matagorda Bay area

Started by racingthesun, November 19, 2013, 10:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racingthesun

A question for sailors on and around Matagorda Bay ? I?m returning to sailing after some years, now with wife and three small children, and in the market for a boat.  We live in Houston but are thinking of keeping the boat down at Palacios, just to try something new and get away from the Galveston Bay crowds.  I want seaworthiness over speed, since I will be responsible for my family, and don?t yet have full confidence with my sailing ability in all conditions (I have owned small sailboats in the past but don?t consider myself to be a seasoned sailor). 

I want a boat that is comfortable for overnighting, which for us means an enclosed head with marine toilet and hot/cold pressurized shower.  I have no plans to sail outside the bays, although being able to sail on other bays up and down the Gulf Coast is appealing.  I?m prepared to spend $20K-30K (or so) and want a boat that does not need any work that would require significant time away from the kids.  I would keep the boat in the water, likely at Serendipity in Palacios (which I recognize has showers).  The boat obviously would have to sleep five (the kids will not always be this little!).  An inboard diesel is a plus, if for no other reason than the hot water, but also to give me some range through the ICW.  We would start out sleeping at the marina and daysailing from there, using the boat like a weekend home on the bay, then venture out to cruising once my confidence builds.  I value seaworthiness over speed and want a boat with significant ballast.

Right now, I am considering two boats that I recognize are quite different but that meet our comfort criteria:  the Seaward 25 and the Compac 27.  The notion of being able to trailer the Seaward down to, say, the Laguna Madre is appealing but I suspect such trips would be rare (maybe keep a Sea Pearl in the garage?).  I understand you don?t really trailer the CP 27.  We would be considerably more comfortable on the Compac, and having my wife comfortable is a high priority if I am going to get to use this boat.

My basic question is whether the increase in draft from the Seaward (2 feet) to the Compac (3 ? feet) would significantly restrict our ability to explore the Matagorda Bay area, including overnighting. 

I should have started by asking if there even are many overnighting opportunities on these bays. 

Any other suggestions for good boats for these waters that more or less meet my criteria?  I don?t want water ballast, as the boat will be kept in the water, and trailerability is a plus but not a requirement. 

Anyone here live in Houston and not keep their boat on Clear Lake/Galveston Bay?

I understand that the moderator of this site keeps a boat at Magnolia Beach, and I would love to hear from him.

Much thanks.

CharlieJ

The 2 foot draft would open more places to you of course, but Tehani draws 3'6 and with  few exceptions, I go where I want. The ComPac should be a good boat.

From Palacios as a base, there would be many many miles of bay open to you- Tres Palacios, West Matagorda, Lavaca,  Espritu Santos are some that come to mind immediately.

The Laguna Madre is renowned for being shallow- remember- that's where the flat's fishing scooters were born :D

And I live in Magnolia Beach. I keep the  boat in Port Lavaca ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

racingthesun

Thanks, Charlie.  After all that, I bought an Atlantic City 24 catboat!  Still subject to survey.  It's only got two foot draft with board up, 2200 lbs ballast, enough bunks for my family, standing headroom, huge cockpit, an inboard diesel, and an enclosed head.  Pressurized water but only cold (I'll be looking at ways to address that).  I won't be avoiding all work like I had hoped, but everything is a compromise.  No trailering an AC24, with an 11 foot beam and 8000 lbs displacement, but it ticks almost all the boxes for a shallow-water family-weekender/daysailer.

CharlieJ

Kewl- having 2 foot draft opens tons more area- Easily  go out to Decros Point  at Pass Cavallo. Very good fishing at the pass.

And all  over Espirtu Santos Bay along the inside of Matagorda Island. Places such as Army Hole, with it's free docks.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

racingthesun

One thing that I'm running into, that I hadn't expected, is that there may not be any boatyard on the bay to haul out your boat for bottom jobs or to put your boat into the water in the first place.  Is that the case?  Where do you go -- farther down the coast? 

Also, any views on marinas on the bay that have decent hurricane protection?  I've read the views of several people that Serendipity at Palacios might not be the best choice.  I called the Port of Palacios and spoke with them about South Bay Marina but they don't have floating docks.  I was also told that the only yard capable of hoisting a sailboat out of the water in Palacios recently closed.  I spoke with the marina at Port Lavaca and they said they have 16 feet of surge capability.

Sorry for all the questions. 

CharlieJ

House of Boats in Rockport is pretty much it nearby. There IS a yard in Freeport, but I know nothing about it..

The city of Palacios decided they needed to do something "nicer" with the boat yard space, so didn't renew the lease. We miss Matty's >:( >:(

My boat is in Port Lavaca, and the new docks are top line, with 16 foot steel piles and a new breakwater. But in a threat, I'd anchor Tehani out with multiple anchors out, out in Keller Bay.

Or given enough warning, haul her on her trailer. Not easy, but doable. Usually use a lift to put on and off trailer.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera