News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

sealing an unused prop shaft?

Started by Wade, December 06, 2013, 12:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

The po added an outboard after the diesel died. I have since removed the diesel but now wonder how to seal the shaft. i may be heading for salt water soon and currently have the propless old shaft secured in the shaft but would like to remove it. My first thought is something like marine tex but I also wonder if there isnt a better option in case we ever want to reinstall a diesel. This will all be accomplished with the boat hauled.  Thanks

rorik

I used to own a 1959 `Frisco Flyer (carvel planked Teak riveted to Ipol frames) from which I removed the mid 60's vintage Lister Petter single cylinder diesel. Traded it to an old machinist to tinker with for a 12' lifeboat oar so I could scull off the stern.
When I removed the prop shaft, we rebored the shaft log, just to make sure it was clean. Then stuck a brush taped to a stick with lots of epoxy on it up the hole. That was followed with a cedar dowel, also coated in epoxy, tapped up the hole. When it dried, we cut off the ends and coated the surface with epoxy. Never leaked a drop.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

okawbow

I'm a firm believer that you should learn to love your diesel. Nothing beats it for coastal cruising, in my opinion.

I would put a short piece of shaft in the hole, with set collars on each end, to make sure it couldn't fall out. Put on a new piece of hose and new clamps, (if it has a hose). Tighten down the packing so it doesn't leak, and it should be good for a few years.

If you really like the boat; a new diesel might be worth the trouble down the road. 
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

skylark

I left the prop shaft in place, tightened up the stuffing box nuts, and put a few pipe clamps on the shaft to make sure it would not slide out.  No problems for a few years now.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Frank

Quote from: rorik on December 06, 2013, 02:27:55 PM
from which I removed the mid 60's vintage Lister Petter single cylinder diesel.

rorik...nothing to do with filling in holes...but those ole Listers were classic engines!! huge flywheels, Tons of torque  "pucka pucka pucka"   ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

rorik

Quote from: Frank on December 06, 2013, 10:15:03 PM
Quote from: rorik on December 06, 2013, 02:27:55 PM
from which I removed the mid 60's vintage Lister Petter single cylinder diesel.

rorik...nothing to do with filling in holes...but those ole Listers were classic engines!! huge flywheels, Tons of torque  "pucka pucka pucka"   ;)

Mine only sounded like that if I wanted to stay in the slip and charge the battery.
Otherwise, it sounded more like "IIIIIII ddoooooooooonnnnnntt wwwaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnaaaaaaaaaa ssssstaaaaaaaaaarrrrtt......COUGH, cough, cough.....noooo, doooooooooooooooooo'nttt trrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy iiiiiiittt aaagggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiinnn.........cough, wheeeeeeze".

Frank

I owned a Fiat like that in the mid 70's. If rain was even "just" in the forcast...it wouldn't get up in the mornin   :o   I do have a warm spot for the ole Listers....very simple engines. I hope your's got rebuilt
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

rorik

Unfortunately, it probably didn't. There is a Lister distributor up the road about 30 miles and at the time, ~15 years ago, there was one bearing and a cover plate available for it. Nothing else.
Rebuilding it would have required a complete re-fabrication which was/is way beyond my talents. But you're right, the old single cylinders are very cool.