News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Movie: All is lost

Started by SeaHusky, December 30, 2013, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

Just watched the movie "All is lost" which is about shipwreck in sailfar, single handed fashion.
It's not for watching with people who worry about what might happen but you may want to watch it with a notepad in your lap.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

CharlieJ

LOL_ and make a list of all the dumb things they show, so you won't do them  :o ::) :o ::)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Watched it last night. As a sailor and from a technical standpoint, I guess they did an OK job, with the glaring exception that they destroyed 3 1978 Cal 39's in making this movie.  :P

I'll try not to post any "spoilers", but when he sinks the supertanker with just one round from the RPG... ;D

It struck me that the movie was unusually 'quiet' - the storm scenes were not anywhere near as noisy as a good blow really is (on-deck or below), and both when in them and not, the boat and contents did not clink, roll, slap, luff, etc etc... This was not due to the vessel being shipshape, either! ;)

The length/amount of names in the credits were simply amazing considering the fact that this was a movie with a cast of *only One person*. OTOH - I did see "Pardey Books" in the props/sponsors list. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Headcase

Just finished watching it myself. Lots of headdesk moments. I also thought that the boat was way calm for being in a storm of any strength. I also have made a few additions to my list of things to NOT do. That being said, I think Mr. Redford did a pretty fine job.
If I knew what I was doing, where would the fun be?

wolverine

Sorry but,  WORST SAILING MOVIE EVER!

Compac 19/II
Seidelman 295

Godot

It's been a long time (years) since I've seen this movie; but I do remember a few things that seemed terribly annoying to me.  No promise that I'm recalling this stuff accurately, and I'm certainly not doing this in order, but...

As I recall he was sleeping in the forepeak. God, what an awful place to sleep at sea.

When he called on the radio his terminology was terrible. "This is an SOS call" or something along those lines. And why was he working on the radio on the cabin top? And how was he powering it? And how was he connected to the antenna? Maybe I'm just not remembering right.

So, he bumps into a shipping container and puts a hole in his hull. That sucks for him. He can't get his boat off so ties his sea anchor to the shipping container which allows him to get off. Clever, I guess. I'm not sure it would have worked like that; but we'll go with it. So, once off, he brings his boat around, puts the stupid hole UNDER WATER, further flooding his boat, so he can, for a second time, LEAVE HIS BOAT and retrieve his sea anchor. Which he then proceeds to NOT USE when he is in a storm. Way to go Einstein!

I thought it was hilarious when his GPS died and he grabbed his sextant, new in an unopened box, that he then had to teach himself to use by reading the instructions. This seems very realistic, as I suspect now-a-days the few people who even have sextants aboard probably have no idea how to use them. Even old timers may need a refresher at this point.

I liked that he patched the hull. Self sufficiency for the win!

How did he end up in major storms so quick? He seemed completely caught by surprise. Could he not see them coming? Did he even heave to?

When in the life raft...even if his water jug had the vent plug out, would so much salt water actually enter to make it non-potable? I mean, maybe it would get a little salty; but I don't see it changing THAT much.

But, and this is important, the most unrealistic BS part of the whole movie is no sailor in history, ever, not even once, would bump into a shipping container, hole his boat, and NOT SAY A WORD! On the contrary, any real sailor would be cussing up a storm. This happened at the very beginning of the movie and bothered me until near the end when he realized his jerry jug of water was salt water contaminated and finally screamed what I would have been screaming for days at that point.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CapnK

Good point, Adam. I personally would have, as the movie says, "woven a tapestry of obscenity that would be hanging over that part of the ocean to this day...".  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmyaUHNdOQ
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)