News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Projects Projects Projects

Started by Solace, February 03, 2006, 09:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

Seems a bit slow round here lately. There's a nasty part of me that hopes you fortunate few aren't out sailing - color me green if you are.

February is usually the time I get ready to undertake major projects aboard. Why I ever even try is beyond me. Anyone who has ever even attempted this while living aboard know exactly what I mean. Last year is was putting in cupboards and a bookshelf. This year the nav station area needs a major overhaul + new cabin upholstery (decided on a beige ultrasuede).

That's my plans, how about some of yours?

John

captedteach

Geeze - I wouldnt even know where to begin on my 'project list' seeing how I just bought two more freakin boats

Heres a few things I have going though:

1) replace all running rigging on the SanJuan 23
2) polish the hulls of the SanJuan and the Cal 25
3) find two trailers for the big cats I just bought
4) take inventory of damage and prepare project list for each
5) buy stock in 3M and Owens/Corning to offset repair cost

Well that should keep me busy for the next two years - Oh yeah I still have customer projects to deal with
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Coastal Cruiser

Well, I have several projects at present. I am finishing up on a 23 foot roundstern wooden hull. I am in the finish framing stage of a 22 foot dory. I have a 17 foot fiberglass hull completely stripped out to the outer skin, and customizing it for a shallow water fishing hull. I am also taking some time off to take in some beautiful weather, sailing, all be it in lite winds, as depicted in the Boat Discussion section. I have also been seeking out some strippers in the surf, but that really takes some time, so thats about only a couple of days a month, right now. Summer is just around the corner, guys.

Oh you ask what about any projects on the liveaboard portion of my life? yea, honey ask me when will I get to redoing her kitchen  or at least replace the broken appliance bulb in the refrigerator after almost a year?

Mr. Fixit

Today I began preparing for install of new engine and sail drive. I have extensive epoxy work to do for install , too cold for this however I am doing all the prep work I can, cutting new hole,removed old drive shaft and cutlass bearing today. I am considering tenting, and heating  portion of hull so I can epoxy. not sure yet , may move on the complete rewire instead. It looks like I may have entire month of Feb. off so I am looking forward to getting things done

starcrest

a bote iz a hoal in de wah wah in2 witch one pours money
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

CapnK

Whew! I'm with Teach on this one - my list looks more like a novel! ;D

If I had a dollar for every project I need to do, I might have enough to do one or two of them. :D

At the top (no pun intended) of the list is to drop my mast sometime in the next 2 weeks, in order to refurbish it. This *one* project involves about 50 others, it seems like - ;)

I need to run antenna wire, fix the current in-mast wiring so it stops collecting water (and sending it belowdecks), as well as wrap the wires in foam noodles so to stops them clanging inside the mast, switch out the current incandescent light fixtures with my new LED lights, check over the masthead sheaves, tangs, and other important fittings, replace my spreader bases, replace halyards and topping lift, add a block for a spinnaker/backup halyard, install small blocks for flag halyards on the spreaders, and probably another couple of things I'm not remembering right now.

While the mast is down, I'd need to put in some sort of strengthener/stiffener on my strongback/bulkhead, since "Katie Marie" has some sag in this area, like many older boats of similar design. I don't think at this time that I'll do the permanent fix, since I have not decided what that is just quite yet. :) While the mast is down, I'll also be giving the chainplates, their associated thru-deck holes, and other parts of the standing rigging a good going over, fixing what needs fixing. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get at least one more season of use out of the current chainplates and standing rigging. I do want to move the chainplates to the outside of the hull, but don't want to undertake that project just yet, since my aim is to get back sailing within a reasonable amount of time after dopping the stick.

This project should keep me busy for at least a couple of weeks, knocking off parts of it in any spare time I can get. I'll also be doing some work on the inside of the boat (actually, I am constantly doing that anyway, my ever-ongoing-never-stopping, can't-see-the-end-of-this-project project). ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Kurt- talk to Bob Wessel over on TSBB. Get him to send you some pics of the A-Frame he built to lower the mast on his boat. I intend to make something like that for use on Tehani. They lowered the mast safely in about 10 minutes, in the slip. He said going back up was even easier.

He made all new rigging and used stalocs for his terminals, as I did..
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Zen

Well I've been out acually doing projects.  :)
Just finished. Install a new table top on the dinnette, added a mahongy veneer to the reading light backing over the table , installed in speakers I found at a sale, which are perfect, Install a mini microwave also found at a sale, carpeted inside hull next to dinette and in v-berth. Spring is right around the corner...

sweet!
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

NANP

Quote from: Zen on February 07, 2006, 11:48:49 AM
Install a new table top on the dinnette

sweet!

Sweet indeed! Did you decoupage a print on there, or is that on some kind of laminate? Looks hellakewl!

NANP

Zen

thx, dude.

The scanned print ( scanned small, recolored and reprinted to 45x35 )  is under plexi-glass ( took top to tap plastic) cut to size, the print trimmed to fit. Then edge molding re-attached to fasten the whole thing down.
Simpler, neater than Decoupage.

I'll post a few more shots in the gallery later of the weekend work.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

CapnK

Nice work Zen!!! :o ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AllAboutMe

Mr Fixit,
Glad to see yet another Columbia lover here. Hope all is going well, and that you are able to continue the re-fit in spite of the cold weather. Keep us posted as to your progress, so that we can vicariously share in your efforts.
This is my Columbia Saber as she appeared a little over a year ago, just before I acquired her.

Jack Tar

You got it. Spending a lot of time on the boat getting ready for the first cruise of the season. At least my season. The Lats and Atts Frost Bite Jump Up Cruise is this weekend. I have been working on electrical problems that caused me to replace the boats battery bank. I have also been working on getting the new sail ready to go. It should be ready this friday. Then there is all of the packing and un packing. Filling the propane , checking the diesel, all the fluid levels, changing the oil and filters. Weather forcast is for snow by Tuesday night and continued cold untill later in the week. Awe what the heck sailing in the snow can be fun. Break out the Rum and lets go.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

captedteach

Latest boat project - I bought a trailer for the Cats but it was a bit too short. Yesterday I drove to Tupelo MS (90 miles) to go to the steel store (Wholesale vs Retail) and bought 40ft of 3x5x1/4 tubing to stretch the trailer 9ft (five in the tounge and 4 behind the axle) I still need to get the width pcs but I need to do some calculating on what I need to hold up the boat with out going overboard on weight - Any engineers out there that would know the load capacity of steel   I've got 7000lbs and a 14ft beam  Trailer runners are just under 6ft leaving me with 4ft on either side of the runners and I can use 3 or 4 cross pcs over the 30ft length. To be able to drag the trailer empty with out a permit cross pcs will be attached with u-bolts and plates like an Axle to a spring perch
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Skipper Dave

Nothing major just changing the oil and scrubbing her down this weekend.  Went out last Sunday about 2 hours not enough wind but still beats work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

CapnK

Now there's a bird with good taste in a nesting site! ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

So.....

Thinking about this thread.... I decided to type up the list of my project's.  This list is not everything, as I stopped now because I am feeling a little bit nauseous....

Projects;

~   Bow roller install for CQR #25
(have roller, and anchor)

~   Haul and repaint.

~   Install Bomar Nibo hatch.... Still thinking about how I am going to do this. (have hatch)

~   Install cockpit mounted bilge pump (have pump)

~   Install new jib tracks on toerail (have tracks, removed old tracks... sailing with blocks on the life line pad eyes...)

~   Install shipmate kerosene heater (have heater, and flue)

~   Repaint foredeck

~   Re-install rub strake

~   Run new power outlets to nav station

~   Re-locate GPS connection for auto-helm

~   Source and install windvane (or build mounts for the RVG I have)

~   Fabricate and install pushpit (have stainless)

~   Install solar panel (have solar panel, will mount on pushpit)

~   Split center cushion for 'settee to queen birth' just need to cut foam, and re-sew new cover

~   Glass area under cockpit to seal from cockpit lockers

~   Install flex tank under cockpit for extra H2o[/list] 

??? :P ::) >:( ;) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X:o[/color][/b]
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cmdr Pete

I'm as frugal as anybody, but the easiest part of the project is buying the supplies. Could take me a year or two to actually get around to installing them.

Since I can only sail the boat about 8 months in the Northeast, I refuse to work on the boat during the sailing season. If a project is incomplete, or something breaks, it will probably stay that way till next Spring.

This year I'm going to finish everything I started last year.

Maybe

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

s/v Faith

;D  Bless you man!  Someone comes along and suports my procrastination....  ;D ;D ;D

That is EXACTLy it too.... whenever it is nice enough to work on the list... then it is nice enough to sail....

My list shows which one I choose.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AllAboutMe

Quote from: Cmdr Pete on February 15, 2006, 06:02:28 PM
I'm as frugal as anybody, but the easiest part of the project is buying the supplies. Could take me a year or two to actually get around to installing them.

Cmdr Pete,
I'll do your installations, if you'll pay for my supplies for my projects. LOL
RadicalCy