News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cleaning small Sails?

Started by Cyric30, June 06, 2014, 01:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

Ok, got a small learner boat as some folks might know, and getting a few things fixed, but one thing that bugs me is the sail while old and serviceable is dirty, any way to halfway easily clean it.? would go into more detail but lunch is about over....if you need more info just ask...

Cyric

Captain Smollett

Dilute solution of Oxyclean in a clean plastic garbage can, soak overnight, rinse thoroughly will often do wonders.

If you have a pool, some folks soak them in the pool overnight.  :)

I don't recall the 'recipe' for how much Oxyclean I used when I did it, but it was not really much for the amount of water that was there.  Perhaps you could also soak a bathtub?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cyric30

Thanks Cap.
i should have a trash can i can use somewhere or drum
its not a large sail let me look
Ok.
its 75 Sqft and its made of nylon? that make a difference.?

Quote from: Captain Smollett on June 06, 2014, 02:29:16 PM
Dilute solution of Oxyclean in a clean plastic garbage can, soak overnight, rinse thoroughly will often do wonders.

If you have a pool, some folks soak them in the pool overnight.  :)

I don't recall the 'recipe' for how much Oxyclean I used when I did it, but it was not really much for the amount of water that was there.  Perhaps you could also soak a bathtub?

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Cyric30 on June 06, 2014, 03:11:54 PM

its made of nylon? that make a difference.?

I don't THINK it makes a difference (Quick look at Google says don't use the Oxyclean with bleach...use the plain kind), but I've never cleaned a nylon sail; I've only done dacron.

I'll have to defer to someone else that has done nylon.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cyric30

the only thing i can find thus far is not to use bleach or other solvents, so where does that leave me, i unfortunately know very little about the Oxyclean product, but if it has bleach i guess its a no go......maybe some other suggestions? isent color safe bleach not really bleach.? maybe

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Cyric30 on June 06, 2014, 05:27:36 PM

the Oxyclean product

Some Oxyclean has bleach added..."Oxyclean with Bleach."  Plain Oxyclean that does not say "with Bleach" should be ok. 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Cyric30

Ok, i'll  take a look at the store tomorrow and see what i can find, read Oxy without bleach uses hydrogen peroxide....so that might work ok :) thanks for the help Capn.