News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New boat - Allegro 27

Started by SeaHusky, August 13, 2014, 02:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Wow, not much room there for all that. And it looks like you need a degree in math to figure it all out. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

Plenty of room since the entire tiller pilot will be outside of the hull.
But I have already come up with a cunning plan...

I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

SeaHusky

Not as easy as I thought it would be  ::) but finally the engine is back in its mounts.

(Why do pictures end up tilted but when you click them they are the right way up?)

CapnK

Something to keep in your pocket:

When I cut out the forward end of Katie Maries cockpit, it included the cockpit scuppers. They drained straight down into original, factory made fiberglass thru-hulls, w/no seacocks. These structures were too too tall, and likely not strong enough to withstand, the forces of a pounding of a wooden plug into them to keep water out.

So after some thought and research, I bought a couple cans of that spray expanding urethane foam. The tops of the hose from the thru-hull were above the at-rest waterline, but as soon as I pulled them off the thru-hulls there would be a 1"+ hole below waterline. I got everything ready, put on a pair of rubber gloves, and pulled the first hose. Water immediately started gushing into the boat, so I clamped my hand down over it, sealing it with my palm. Then I worked the nozzle of the expanding foam into the mouth of the thru hull under my hand, and let 'er rip with the foam. As it flowed in and expanded, it filled the tube side to side and also outwards towards the water beyond the thruhull, sealing it off very effectively and quickly. It will solidify under water, so in no time at all I had both thru hulls permanently sealed off.

Might not be a bad idea to keep a can or two of this stuff nearby your thru-hulls, just like we do the traditional wooden plugs. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

SeaHusky

Good tip CapnK! I will add it to my bag of "never to be needed" tricks.

"Tiller pilot on a double ender" equation solved.

Also the refrigerator wasn't working and to be able to get the box out so I could fix the problem I had to rip out the original gally module . I am not putting that back so I took the opportunity to replace the Origo meths stove with a propane hob/oven combo. It increases the chance of cooking past pot noodles and hotdogs.

Norman

That is a very well designed piece of stainless tubing.  Wide radius turns, attach at logical points, and the tiller socket at the ideal location.  A difficult challenge neatly overcome.

Do you have a wired remote control, or tie into your GPS to remotely "push the buttons"?   Mine did not connect to a GPS, but I did have a remote push button, which was particularly useful when motoring in truly foul conditions.

I do not put a lot of faith in "sealed water tight" equipment, and make a practice of passing a very long, slim plastic bag over the pilot, from the ram end, and securing the open end with a strong rubber band near the opposite end.  The tiller pin simply punches in.  This provides a very effective rain coat to keep spray, rain, and fog from getting to the unit and testing whether there is any leak path.  A single bag lasts a whole trip for me, 3 to 5 days.  My source is the bag my morning paper comes in when rain is expected, so recycling!

Mine has served me well on 3 boats, and is still like new.

The galley plan is promising!  An oven is a pleasant luxury.
Norman

SeaHusky

Thanks Norman!
The plastic bag is a great idea that I will copy! I haven't read up on the specific functions of the TP but it connects to my chartplotter so it can steer along a plotted course. The remote control is an optional extra that I may get when I feel the need.

I have obviously completely abandoned the KISS-principle in exchange for all the comforts and necessary aids that my health requires. My excuse is that I will be in the north sea rather than the Bahamas.
It is absolutely astonishing both how much more space than anticipated things need but also the amount of different systems that go into a small sailboat! Fresh water, sea water, drains, propane stove, refrigerator, head, holding tank, bilge pumps, electrics, solar panels, navigation, navlights, VHF, heater, engine, fuel, windlass, anchors, running rigging...
I feel I could just as well be building a space shuttle.

SeaHusky

Engine is back in place. It's heavier than I remembered.

SeaHusky

SeaHusky

Model tweaked to final size and shape.

Frank

Looks good
Always best to mock up" to get the look right,
Will be neat to see the finished product
Have fun!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

I am in complete agreement with Mr Frank. :D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)