News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

ComPac 27 "Allure"

Started by Frank, February 20, 2015, 02:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Several have asked about the boat on the Abaco cruise thread and by PM....here goes.
"disclaimer" the ComPac 27 is not, nor was it designed as, an ocean voyager. It is a comfortable, shallow draft coastal cruiser. Bob Johnson and Gerry Hutchins both worked for major Florida boat builders in the old days. When Gerry wanted a 27, he went to Bod to design it. That was 1984/85. If it looks a bit like an "Island Packet"...now you know why. While not a high end boat, it does pocess some very good features as standard.
From a seaworthiness standpoint:
40% ballast ratio
double lifelines, full length hand rails and relatively wide side decks make going forward easy
A proper seahood to keep spray out of the cabin
single line jiffy reefing...no need to leave the cockpit
furling head sail...easy to reef (I used to be a confirmed hank-on guy....old/lazy now)
triple, relatively straight drop boards (they won't fall out when jarred like a big V'd companionway)
A proper bridge deck
cockpit mounted manual bilge pump and electric
From a ventilation standpoint:
8 opening ports
opening hatch in V-berth
opening hatch in main cabin
2 large dorado vents, properly installed to not allow water passage
From a storage standpoint:
2 very large cockpit lockers
aft cockpit "draining" storage if standard alcohol stove is used (propane tank storage)
large, front access "under settee" storage (no lifting cushions each time)
large storage areas behind settee backs (great for lighter items)
head has medicine cabinet, cabinet above and below vanity
V-berth has under berth storage port/stbd, a hanging locker(cabinet above) and bank of drawers
Galley:
the galley has 3 good drawers, cabinets behind and below stove, "tip-up" counter extension, large icebox.
Plumbing
large 50 gallon water tank plus 5 more gallons in the hotwater heater (works off 120V or engine heat)
pressure water for both sinks, head shower and cockpit shower  (I prefer manual...but showers are nice)
Layout
This is a big 27. Both settees are comfortable. The port settee slides out to form a bouble bunk. The starboard settee back hings "up", with straps to form bunk beds.
The Vberth has standing room in front of the berth with the sliding door closed. (very nice on a 27)
The aft head is very usable and away from the V-berth.
Engine access is very good.
Misc
Edson "rack and pinion" wheel steering with compass is standard
yanmar 3 cylinder 20hp is more than needed, yet economical
all lines run aft, center boom traveller, all Harken winchs are self tailing, sheet winchs are 2 speed.
Harken furling is standard.
lots of teak trim outside
lots of teak inside, very "warm" feeling. Floor has inlaid teak/holley plywood
Anchor handling is very good with the bow sprit keeping the anchor away from the bow
The rudder is quite large and "balanced" (about 25% forward of the post) This is the quickest responding boat I have ever sailed and the easiest I have ever docked. It turns extremely fast.
Again, not an ocean voyager but stronger than expected. The hull from the waterline down has 4 layers of 3408. Thats 34oz bi and triaxle "knit" fabric (far less resin rich when done than the old 22oz roving) and 8oz mat. The hull above the waterline has 2 layers of 3408 with foam core between. The deck has foam core. There is no balsa core to rot. The hull/deck joint is outward turned flanges, bedded, bolted, capped with a very heavy nylon rub rail with SS striker plate. The inside of the joint is fiberglass taped as well.
All of the standard features above got my interest, but the true beauty of dealing with a small builder like ComPac is they have their own steel fabricating shop, wood shop and will do anything (with in reason) that you want at extremely fair rates. This is a 3 generation, 'hands on' family business. I had several modifications done to "Allure" to make cruising easier:
All LED lighting both ext and interior including adj reading lights (1st)
2nd single line jiffy reef in main
larger access plate on water tank to make cleaning easier. (1st)
I supplied a water filter they installed
increased standard fuel tank from 12 to 19 gallons (1st time done)
sourced an Engel, low draw ice box conversion to refrigeration (1st)
increased propane tank from 10 to 20lb (1st)
gimballed 2 burner propane stove
had custom cabinets behind stove and above done (1st)
designed custom cabinets above both settees (1st)
I forgo the stbd "bunks" and had a removable center "end table" type cabinet made. Designed so it the 2 filler cushions (used as arm rests when cabinet in place) are 'arm rest' height. 2 adj LED reading lights above "table" (1st)
reduced drawers in V-berth from 5 to 4. Deeper, easier to use (1st)
had them do an adjustable solar panel mount on bimini frame (1st)
Dodger, bimini, separate removable filler between
cockpit swing-up table
had them install my 1500 watt inverter and run line to plug behind port settee cabinet (1st)
switched standard 2 batteries to 2-6volt golf cart (house) and 1 deep discharge/start (engine)
The electronics they installed are: standard horizon VHF/AIS with large AIS antenna, Ray marine bidata (speed/depth/water temp),  ray marine autohelm and connections for my old, removable lil standard horizon plotter
Hull/construction modifications I asked for were 1 extra layer of 3408 above waterline (against Gerry's wishs...he thought is was a waste of $$), an extra layer of glass on the foredeck, 200lbs extra lead in keel and the cream coloured gelcoat.
I doubt there is a production boat builder out there that offers the level of co-operation and customization The Hutchins does...and at reasonable rates. Sure...high ends yards will...if your net worth has 7 figures. Try getting Hunter, Beneteau or Catalina to do custom cabinets etc.
After about 7 weeks living on the boat, a windy Gulf Stream crossing and tour through the Abacos I can honestly say I am VERY happy with the boat. I have only spent one night tied to a dock, my drinks, eggs, meat etc are always cold. The boat is very comfortable. It sails relatively stiff...no 'tender surprises', will round up nicely in a heavy gust and although certainly no racer, it sails well enough to not be boring or frustrating, I would prefer a tiller. The standard pedestal and wheel take up a lot of cockpit room, but then this really is only a very good 2 person boat...plus, where would the propane tank store (to drain over)
I think everyone should be honest with themselves as to how they will actually use their boat. Too often a large, heavy, deep  draft ocean boat is purchased with dreams of "what if". Then that size, weight and deep draft become a hindrance to enjoyment. I knew I'd just be doing the Bahamas and if the opportunity arises, Cuba. This is more than enough boat for that. I wanted a well ventilated, shallow draft boat that was very 'livable'. Allure truly is.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

Frank

SeaHusky

Thanks for the "tour"!
It looks really nice and I am a bit envious about how much more space you get with only a couple more feet. The law of cubes in effect.
Why is it called 27 when it is 29 feet?
Could you explain the details about how to "properly" install dorade vents? I am in the process of installing them on my boat but have no experience with them and want to get it right.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Frank

Easy...the "hull" is 26ft 11in.  The 29ft is "length over all" including the sprit.

I'll try to find a drawing to copy/paste. Too hung over (dang east coasters!) to try and peck it out right now   :o

EDIT...now sobering up nicely  ;)

On the 27, the 2 cowls are mounted on opposite sides of the sea hood. Any water entering has drains cut at the forward/bottom of either side of the sea hood. The "vent" to the cabin is mounted "center" away from the cowls and has about a 2inch "raised" hole so water cannot enter.

Frank

V-berth door closed, table "up"...storage

Frank

Cruiser2B

Very nice seeing the pics of her being put together, quite a different perspective. Thank you for sharing
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Godot

Hey Frank,

Do you have any detail info about your solar panel mount? I'm thinking of doing something similar when the time comes to cut the lines (2-3 years...as always). What kind of tubing is it? Size? And how is it attached?
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Frank

I posted pics...reply #37  http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=4455.40

It is 1 1/2 alum angle....but I've seen such a variety of designs and things used over the years. I was trying to make use of the aft bimini frame up-rights as well by using them for the sliding portion of the mount to go up/dwn on.  Make sense? Have a look at what you now have to work with. Easier to somehow work with whatever frames are now in place. I think the pics kinda explain it better than me...if not...let me know.

Godot

Right. I remember now.

On Seeker I don't have the bimini. I'll have to mount tubes to the deck, or to the stern pulpit, and to get the panels high enough to clear the backstay. Then I'll have to figure out some supports. I don't think it is a huge deal. I'm just not sure how big the tubes will have to be. Will one inchers be big enough? Or do I need something more substantial. I saw a neighbor's boat with what looked 2" tube (or maybe even bigger); but he also was using it as a support for davits. I'll think on it a bit, and maybe open a new thread. It's not something that is happening terribly soon, after all.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

Take a tip form a guy who lives in the south. IF you are coming south, as in Keys and Bahamas, GET a bimini.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera