Sailed to Port Aransas this weekend

Started by CharlieJ, October 13, 2016, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

This past weekend was the Port Aransas Plywoodenboat festival. Sailed down Friday, spent the weekend aboard, and unfortunately MOTORED home Monday, dead into a north wind- 50 miles.

BUT-Managed to sail the entire way down, and got this shot as we were leaving Aransas Bay
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Wheeee!  Did you go inside or outside?

CharlieJ

Inside- no outlet to gulf  from Seadrift
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

*sigh* We left Boston for Provincetown this morning.  Supposed to be gusting 25-30kts.  Went out with a reefed main and staysail.  Raised the jib.  Then shook the reef out.  Then took down the sails all together.  30 kts my ass!  There hasn't been any wind since dawn.  Not much of a cold front.  It's sunny and beautiful, but we're motoring.  Boooo. 

Norman

That lack of wind is a bummer, Rachel!

When do you think you and Woody will reach the Chesapeake?

Hopefully you will soon pick up suitable breezes for an eco friendly passage down the coast.

CharlieJ

Got that right Krusen. As bad as way too much!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

We'll get to the Chesapeake when we get there.  November sometime, I imagine.  The wind forecast doesn't look very favorable this week, but I've long since given up on sailboats as an eco-friendly means of transportation unless you have absolutely no requirements for being anywhere at any time.  At least they make eco-friendly houses. 

CharlieJ

There is currently some concern of damage to facilities in the ICW south of Norfolk, so stay advised. You'll likely be jumping offshore down there at least some, but here's a link to damage reports-

http://ahoy.dockwa.com/hurricane-matthew-marina-status

CaptK- you might look at this also for your A 30 trip. I note that dismal Swamp route is currently closed due to high water.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

How was the boat fest? Have they made any progress on that scow hull they bought a while back?

CharlieJ

Pretty decent turn out- 49 boats. Some very nice ones too. Link to some pics-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/498710376922530/?ref=group_browse_new

on the scow- decking is all on, rudder built, centerboards built. They are talking to me to come down and supervise the mast construction (BirdsMouth) in the next month or so.

But it's being worked on almost every day
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera