What kind of content do you like in sailing blogs/travelogues?

Started by ralay, November 15, 2016, 04:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralay

This is a question about sailing stories rather than a sailing story.  I kept a blog for years and still do an email newsletter for friends/family we know offline, but it's always hard for me to decide what to put in it.  I started the sailing blog 8 years ago when everything we did was new and exciting.  After so may years, I have to ask myself if it's really worth writing, "Today we went here with these sails and in this weather, yesterday we went here, etc."  So for those of you who like to read and follow along with travelling sailors, what do you most want to hear about? 

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Something I wold like to read about i how places change. I have read many books about sailing/traveling but all are at least 10 and maybe 30 years old. The places as they are described are not the same now as when they were described so I am interested in what it is like now and if you have been there previously, what has changed? Is it better or worse?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

ralay

That's interesting, SeaHusky.  I wonder that too.  So many of the books we pick up in libraries and and consignment shops are decades old.  Things have probably changed a lot since then.  Woody and I are still young pups, so I can't say much about how things have changed over the last decade, but ask me again in a few more.   ;)

Frank

I think folks enjoy reading when it's "real"
Not all the majic days...
But not all heavy weather or anchor dragging either 😄
Include the frustration of upkeep as well as the tre satisfaction of doing things yourself.
I think keeping it real keeps it interesting.
I've enjoyed anything you've written....cuz it's "real" 😄

Seperate note on change.
14yrs into the Abacos and the changes are minimal.
Little Harbour has 2 docks instead of one
Treasure Cay now has mooring balls....etc etc
Time seems to have forgotten the out islands...
God made small boats for younger boys and older men