The Perfect Steak ............. slightly off topic

Started by Owly055, January 30, 2017, 10:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

This is not workable for onboard living, but might be of interest here.........

I've finally perfected it.............. I like Chuck for it's flavor and texture and marbling, but unfortunately though a good chuck is in my opinion right up there with the very most expensive cuts, and preferable to many of them in many ways, it tends toward toughness.

I've finally achieved the perfect steak as of this morning when I had steak and eggs for breakfast as I often do. Here's the process I used:

1: Freeze the steak solid
2: Deep Fry just enough to brown the surface nicely........... straight out of the freezer
3: Vacuum seal in a food saver bag with preferred spices and a healthy dollop of
Mesquite liquid smoke (cheap at Walmart)
4: Sous Vide cook 48 hours @ 130F
5: Remove and serve

Who ever heard of deep fried steaks??????????

The result is a lovely medium rare steak infused with spice and a hint of smoke flavor, brown on the surface as if grilled, and melt in your mouth tender. The steak is medium rare all the way from one surface to the other with no gradation, and wonderfully moist.

I did a bunch of them together........ 2 family packs. The others go into zip lock bags in the freezer, and will be brought out as needed, and simply dropped in 130F sous vide for an hour prior to serving.

Scottorious

interesting!  Sous vide is the only way to cook a steak.  Have you noticed a big improvement with a 48 hour cook time?  I usually stick to 45 minutes to an hour and it seems to give the desired effect.  I think throw it on a super hot cast iron skillet.  Does the initial deepfry create a decent crust?  Does it remain through 48 hours of cooking?

Owly055

Quote from: Scottorious on February 15, 2017, 03:34:56 AM
interesting!  Sous vide is the only way to cook a steak.  Have you noticed a big improvement with a 48 hour cook time?  I usually stick to 45 minutes to an hour and it seems to give the desired effect.  I think throw it on a super hot cast iron skillet.  Does the initial deepfry create a decent crust?  Does it remain through 48 hours of cooking?

Cheap Chuck is not tender.   48 hours improves it over 24 hours over 12 hours, etc.   Tender cuts of steak call for much shorter cooking times than tough cuts.  Chuck is a favorite of mine as it has superb flavor though it's not inherently tender.   I feel it has better flavor than many far more expensive cuts, but I'm sure many disagree.   Take a tender steak and cook it too long and it turns to baby food even at 130F.   
The deep fried crust does remain.  Low temp cooking does not seem to break it down...... or not very fast.

H.W.