FREE downloadable PDF Sailing the Farm

Started by Owly055, March 01, 2017, 01:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

This book has been mentioned before, but with the free downloadable PDF, it is a great read at zero cost.  A reference to carry on your tablet, weighting virtually nothing...... How much does 10.2 MB weigh these days?   I just bought a 32GB SD card for $15 the other day........ 3000 times the size of this document!!   Weighs about the same as a nickle!  How many thousands of digital books can we carry for the weight of one paperback??   

https://we.riseup.net/assets/268677/sailfarm.pdf

Sailing the Farm
Book by Ken Neumeyer

This book is a bit "out there" in some of it's ideas, but offers some valuable information on growing foods and sprouts on board, as well as many important food related insights.  Mr Neumeyer waxes enthusiastic....... and knowledgeably about many things, though some of this information is outdated, and some less than realistic in the real world.   Published in 1981, it positively reeks of the 70's mindset.  It's a good read, and a useful reference.    With his ideas, you could conceivably set out around the world, with your home made solar still(s), lots of seeds for sprouting and growing, a knowledge of and tools for food preservation, fishing equipment, knowledge of edible seaweeds, etc, and never set foot on land for years!  A bible for wannabe "seasteaders".  It's a fun read, and free.

H.W.

Godot

I think I still have a copy in my library. Grog for the link.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

lastgreatgeneration

Thank you, I have been wanting to read this for a while. Any others? Grog for you.

ralay

We read this book when we got our first boat and it's pretty entertaining.

Has anyone who's read it tried out any of the ideas in there on a boat?  I'd be interested to hear about your experiments. 

CharlieJ

I have the book. when living on the tri, and cruising, used some of the ideas. Been a long, long time so hard to recall- sold the tri in 85
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

I have a Copy of this book as well, a very good friend who is gone now paid what i expect was way to much money for a copy as a gift to me, i very much cherish the book and found it an interesting read, the seaweed types seems like it would come in handy from what i remember.

ralay

I too am curious about foraging seaweed.  I like taste of commercial seaweed.  I'm a little worried about eating it anywhere near shore, though, since there's so much pollution.  I saw lots of live seaweeds in the intertidal zone on Thompson Island, but I sure as heck wasn't going to eat anything that came out of the water near Boston.  I wonder how far from civilization you need to be these days to safely eat seaweeds, shellfish, etc. 

We did spend a lot of time going in plant walks on land with our field guides.  It's often hard to find public places to forage within walking distance of the shore as much of the East Coast is very developed.  I always look for parks on Google maps, but often the only green patches are golf courses.  Maybe we'll get out to some more remote areas in the future.

CapnK

Giving this one a bump because it is such good info. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)