The Real, True story of our trip (in several parts)

Started by CapnK, June 08, 2006, 11:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Doesn't look like Connie is working all too hard to liberate teak...she doesn't have a pry bar in her hands.  :D

A double hammock... who are you sharing it with... :O  or do you need the extra space to prevent yourself from falling out... :p

Just curious... how are you planning on mounting the hammock?  I've been thinking of getting one, and mounting it between the forestay and the mast.  I think there's enough room there, and just have to figure out how to get the hammock to stay up on the forestay without having to remove the furled headsail.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

EdD

Gadget Girl,

Let me be the first to offer to drink...I'm sorry, I meant deliver the Corona.  Anyone who drinks Corona is OK in my book.

Question:  How do you deal with the dew?  I have tried many times to sleep in the cockpit during the summer months.  The dew here in SC is so heavy you literally have to sleep under a tarp to keep dry. 

That said, I think it is a great idea.  I find that the more our society embraces the latest technological gadgets, the more some of us long to return to the basics. I don't know, maybe age has something to do with it.  But what could be more traditional and more "nautical" than sleeping on deck in a hammock, swinging with the motion of the boat.  Right ON!!!!

EdD

Captain Smollett

Ed, I've slept in a hammock in torrential rains many a time while backpacking/bushwhacking.  If yer tired enough, ya sleep right through it.  I never worried about the dew.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Pixie Dust

There often is a good enough breeze that dew is not too much of a problem.  With the double, I can pull material over me if need be. 
Actually, the double is so I can roll over and not hit the deck.... hopefully.  :o  I also thought since the double holds 400#, it could hold me and the cooler with lots of weight to spare so I do not have to keep getting out of it.   I am trying to think ahead.   :D  I will let you know how it all works out.
The hammock comes with straps and hooks so I can do a wrap mount to the roller furling and the mast.  That is the way Kurts was made and he did not have to add anything else.  It stayed up fine. 
Teak removal??... the crow bar was back on PD.  I tried to get K to go get it and my hammer, but I think he was afraid I would give him more work to do.  He was getting a little contrary at this point.   ;)  :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Aren't you supposed to flog crew when it balks at orders...

I can see why you might want the double instead of the single... refreshments and more room to wiggle around in... ;)

Post pix of the setup when you get the hammock.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more