At times....it’s under your nose

Started by Frank, May 27, 2018, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I've been feeling a bit melloncolley the last while as more and more of my aging sailing buddies are quiting and selling their boats.
About 14yrs ago I joined in a "Montgomery boat owners" trailer sailing cruise on Chesapeake Bay. Around 12 of us met up at a predetermined ramp and with one fellow that had local knowledge, were treated to a wonderful week of sailing around. Great commradory and fun sailing in a new place. I was hooked. Over the years I joined in multiple cruises that saw numbers dwindle to where Rick and I seemed the only 2 still at it.
He called a couple of weeks back asking if I had good "under sail" pictures of his boat for the "for sale" ad. Was very sad as I had figured we'd be doing our yearly cruise until one of us croaked.

I recently put an ad on kijiji selling a dodger and windvane (both still in the box and yes...both for sale) one responder got emailing back/forth about boats and he told me of an active group with many members right here in Ontario. Their cruises are close to home and I'll be joining them in the North Channel the end of June. It was so nice to find folks both right here and passionately active. Sometimes what you're looking for truly is under your nose.

PS...I've done all kinds of cruising and must say that trailersailing truly is the most stress free and opens up SO many areas you'd never otherwise get to.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

That *would be* lots of fun (in the warmer months up there)! Especially there, where your shorelines are solid and water goes right to the edge, not shallow slicks of mud that are over half dry over half of the time like we have here... :D

Picked up a US Yachts 18 last year, it's a good light and simple boat, to be the gf's trainer - I can teach her on it, and then she can gradually go solo as she gains skill/confidence, until she feels good taking "just the girls" even/maybe. It has a main and jib, rudder, c/b, and a little cuddy, barely enough to lie down in, but enough nonetheless. And going to windward at 55mph, is a good thing to have in your pocket. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

That would be a perfect boat to learn on.
Hope she has a blast!

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Frank

Loaded and ready!
2 little shake down outings after it sat so long to get the bugs out the last couple of weekends was worth it....both literally and figuratively.
Looking forward to meeting a bunch of new lads and the comrodery that comes with a group cruise.
Will be so nice to be up on the waters of the North Channel again. Simply beautiful up there!
Sounds like there will be 12 of us. Should be a hoot!