News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cell phone use without service

Started by Owly055, July 28, 2018, 10:22:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

I just stumbled across something that could be useful while traveling in remote areas.    It's called Gotenna Mesh.   It's a very small unit that will pair with your cell phone, creating a network between multiple people with the device.  It has a range of 4-5 miles from node to node, and will relay text messages through other people on the network to allow virtually infinite range.  It is text only, and allows you to relay your location if desired.   No cellular provider is needed.  Messages are encrypted.  The way it works is that each member of the network acts as a relay node for others.
     This ingenious system was developed in the wake of Hurricane Sandy when cellular and telecom providers were out of commission, and there was virtually no communication.   When traveling with friends in areas where your cell provider does not have service, family & friends and fellow cruisers could form a network in this way that could be pretty extensive.  It could of course also function afloat.... in a harbor or other situations where members were within 5 miles.... pretty limited.   They aren't cheap at $179 a pair.  They are far from "critical mass" at this point, but I can see where the technology could ultimately displace cellular service for much of person to person communication.   It's a technology with amazing potential............    You can see a map of nodes at their website.

H.W.

SeaHusky

Saw something similar on a science TV-show where the task was to help a Brittish village that was in a "notspot" with very unreliable phone and wifi. They put one device on a telephone pole where there was reception and gave every household a device.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.