Following Winds (Amazon Prime) (free to watch)

Started by Owly055, October 04, 2018, 02:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

In looking through films on Amazon Prime, I came across one called Following Winds....... A cruising family from the early 60's 3 times around the world with children, and a circumnavigation of Antarctica.  First boat wrecked in the Taumotos, built a ferrocement boat in Kiwiland....... These people were a real seafaring family when yachties never dared such things.  At one time held the record for the fastest circumnavigation (around  Antarctica)....... stopping at all the stations..... It's a good film.

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

That film is about my heroes Bob and Nancy Griffith. :) Bob was truly a man's man, ready and capable if a bit rough at times. They once were shipwrecked in the Red Sea (IIRC), and when he was unable to get help otherwise, he literally blasted a way out thru the reef with some dynamite he happened to have aboard... ;D Their boat(s) were named "Ahwahnee", and was near enough a 50'+ version of what Alberg might draw - see below. :)

Check out their book "Blue Water", truly a classic read for those who wish to cruise offshore.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Owly055

I bought the book and am reading it..... A bit dated, but filled with insights.   His attitude toward muiltihulls as expressed, must be views through the lens of the era in which he was writing.  Being a multihull enthusiast to the extent that I would not seriously consider living and voyaging on a monohull (for many reasons), I was forced therefore to adjust for progress so to speak.   For a window into this era and the attitudes that arose from it, read the 1968 Sports Illustrated piece titled Hey Ho and Up  She  Rises https://www.si.com/vault/1968/05/06/610714/hey-ho-and-up-she-rises     Fortunately the state of multihull development has gone far beyond that, but unfortunately, the desire to satisfy the desires of customers has also given rise to an absurd crop (IMHO) of boats from which I find none to choose among the commercially built examples in the desired size range.  The inherent problems seem only to go away or rather be reduced with great size.
      One striking feature was his advocacy for galvanized standing rigging as opposed to stainless steel......... and I heartily agree, based on a lifetime of metallurgical experience, and of course I agree wholly with his comments regarding portlights / storm shutters, and small cockpits, and a number of other features.

H.W.