Looking for a pocket cruiser... need advise.

Started by OlCob, November 07, 2018, 01:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlCob

Hi folks, new here. I've been looking at boats for awhile now, and after all this time, ive got past the dreaming stage to the shock factor, and have settled on a 27 ish ft monohull. I have been looking long and hard at an Albin Vega, but I have found a Saber 28 that looks quite promising. My question, sailing the Caribbean, how would these two boats compare sea worthy ness wise?

Thanks Cob.

Lars

I have had 2 albin vegas and am sitting on one right now..hard to find a better boat if you are interested there is a hurricane damaged one here in panama city florida that i used to own..needs a bow pulpit and boom and new thru hulls .interior is excellent but needs pint on topsides and deck.i sailed  it all over the bahamas and t never gave me a bit of trouble  if you want to pm me your phone i can give details

Frank

The Vega is a good boat. Awesome designer too! It is a mass produced "Chevy"....not a high end yacht, BUT, very seaworthy and faster than expected.
Depends what you want?
Older boats truly go more by condition.
"Project" boats typically take way longer and cost more $$ than you think. They MUST be purchased right (-$$)
The Saber is a good boat too...
Again...
What are your plans?
How handy are you?
How patient are you?
Do you like working on boats?
How will you use the boat?

Answer those honestly and you'll go a long way in decision making.

Lots and LOTS of boats out there....

Have fun
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lars

1975 vega  $1600 will get it  6 hp tohatsu  vhf  selden roller furler decent sails lavac head with holding tank. a few weeks and 1000 bucks would make it a nice boat again if you are at all handy. i can get more pics if interested