News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Airlock Bag System

Started by Owly055, November 26, 2018, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

I recently ordered a package of Airlock bags, which are as reusable bag with a zip lock, and a valve to vacuum seal them.  They come with a small hand vacuum pump.   The idea is that I will be able to use these bags again and again for sous vide cooking, as well as storage of foods in an airtight environment, not to mention storage of non-food items.   The problems I have with foodsavers is the waste, and of course another electric appliance.... and bulk.    The beauty of this compared to the foodsaver is that a bag can be opened to remove some of what is stored in it, then sealed and re-evacuated.  You want to keep vermin out of dry foods, and prevent things from going rancid or stale, this looks like a good solution.
      Here's a link to a Utube demo:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gENOZxgUe7U

H.W.

Phantom Jim

Very interesting.  Ziploc had the Ziploc Vacuum bagging system out about 10 years ago, but it was an iffy system.  Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.  Pump-N-Seal has a vacuum bagging system that uses regular zip bags that is supposed to work and utube had several productions where resealing bags are vacuumed and sealed.

If this system works well, then it is a keeper.

I use the Pump-N-Seal glass jar sealing method that uses a glass jar with a mason jar type lid.  A pin prick is placed in the lid and a small tab of electrical take is lightly placed over the hole.  The Ziploc vacuum pump pumps out the air and the tape tab is firmly pressed down.  A VacuVin pump works well if a rubber seal is installed on the rim.  This method holds vacuum for years.
Phantom Jim

Owly055

I just received my order shortly after I posted.   I have used one of these bags a single time... actually it is in the sous vide with some ribs in it.  It seems to work, but I'm not greatly impressed with the "valve".    Time will tell.

Disposable plastic bags is an immense waste of material.   The advantage of bags of course is packability, and they don't shatter.  I instinctively dislike glass on a boat.   There are some foodsaver containers that might be of value, but most appear bulky.    The foodsaver bags as I said before, can be altered a bit so they clean easily, and one can get a number of uses out of them.   A chamber sealer allows the use of heavier smooth bags rather than the textured bags.  The result would be easier cleaning, and more uses, and less waste, as you inevitably shorten the bag with each use.   Problem is cost and weight of the machine. 

H.W.

Owly055

I'm not  happy with these bags.... the valve often doesn't work, not allowing you to pump them down.  It's a very simple valve stuck to the bag.  Beneath the valve is a hole penetrating the bag.  The valve itself is a disk of what appears to be the same plastic.  It has 4 slots that are so fine that they are not immediately visible, which are located beyond the hole through the bag itself.  These slots appear die cut.... like knife cuts.  Under suction, these slots should allow air to pass from the  bag through the round hole, and then through the slots to the hand pump.   When you quit pumping, the two pieces of plastic suck together.   The area between the hole and the slots acts as a valve, sealing the bag.  When it works, it works fairly well, but the problem I encountered was the inability of the pump to draw the air out.   It  may mean opening up the slots, which appear not to be fully cut.  I've opened the slots using my scalpel and made them work.   

The other problem, which is a nearly universal problem when reusing bags.  The square corners are difficult to clean and stuff gets stuck in them.    I reuse foodsaver bags all the time, and have resolved this problem by simply sealing off the corners diagonally removing a fairly decent size triangle from each lower corner.  This gives you 4 - 45 degree angles instead of two 90's.  Stuff doesn't stick in them as it does in a 90.   I did this to all of these bags.   

The idea is a great one.  These are far more rugged and have a double zip that is extremely aggressive, making the bags actually difficult to open.  They include a plastic tool for zipping them.   The weight is comparable to a foodsaver bag, and one surface is textured like a foodsaver bag.   Ideally in my mind at least, these bags would be used in a chamber sealer, though a chamber sealer with a zip attachment does not exist to my knowledge.

The big thing is reusability.  All waste, and particularly plastic waste  is a problem on a boat.  Plastic is a wonderful material, but also an extremely wasteful material, and destructive in the marine environment.   

H.W.

Phantom Jim

I feel your pain with the resealable bags not being reliably sealable.  The FoodSaver setup has been pretty good at long term sealing some products.  These are all subject to punctures and failure.  There is some information on the web using mylar bags, then stored in sealable buckets. 

You have an aversion to glass aboard that is well founded.  I have found that the only really predictable vacuum is in glass with metal lids.  If one would go to the trouble to store mylar vacuum bags in another container, then properly secured glass containers do not look too bad.

In out 15 plus years of cruising, we have never broken any glass aboard.  Mind you, we rarely go offshore and do not give the ultimate test of a roll-over.
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

My canned meats- in half pint jars. Individually stored in socks, and nestled snugly in a locker- empties went right back in the space they were in  previously
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Also, seal a meal bags are highly useful for other things

Spare spark plugs for outboard, filters,etc and  extra linens, off season clothes. and much more. Amazing ow much less room they take :)l
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

We do some pressure canning of meats for our cruising, as well as home consumption.  We also use old socks to protect the glass.  One pint is about right for a meal for the two of us. 

I utilize a dry canning process that is not commonly encountered.  Precooked meats are placed in the sterilized jar and a lid is placed on and screwed tight.  The meat is dry and no liquid is added.  After processing the meat is moist looking with a small amount of liquid in the bottom.

The pint jar is processed at 90 minutes at 15 lbs. pressure and allowed to gradually room cool.  We find that the appearance and texture is better than if the meat is fully immersed in liquid during the processing.  The issue is that the dry meat is more difficult to get to the proper temperature for the required time, hence the 15 lbs. and the extra 15 minutes.

Oddly, link sausage does very well with this dry processing with a texture very similar to fresh cooked sausage.  With the wet processing, the texture is very similar to SPAM.  The flavor is the same, regardless of the texture.
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

LOL and what's wrong with Spam?? that a staple aboard. And here. Really like it fried :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

Charlie, nothing is wrong with SPAM (ignoring the sodium and fat content :'().  It certainly has the desired shelf life and a ton of folk like it.

I was describing a texture, not being critical of SPAM, I like it, at least fried hard and put away under ketchup.  I prefer canned corned beef, or whatever mystery meat that is, again fried hard with ketchup.

A photo of chicken and link sausage are posted to show the finished product.  A little moisture comes out but the meat remains mostly out of the liquid. 

Interesting how this topic went from discussing resealable storage vacuum bags to tongue in cheek SPAMMING (or being CORNEY ;)). 
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

;D  Kinda like conversations at  a bar eh??  Oh- and I buy the low salt Spam :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

About 15 years ago I pondered the volume and weight of SPAM for provisioning purposes.  A 12 oz. net weight of SPAM actually weighs 15 oz. gross.  The volume of the 12 oz. can is 28 cubic inches.  There are 62 cans per cubic foot at a weight of 58 pounds.

With water weighing 62 pounds per cubic foot, it is theoretical that a 12 oz. can of SPAM would float.  This would allow a crate of SPAM to be useful as a flotation device.  However, a 12 oz. can of roast pork has a gross weight of 15 oz. and does not float.  SPAM flotation devices seem like a no go idea.

Maybe low sodium SPAM floats but I suspect that the real flotation would come from flatulence.  Wrong, low sodium SPAM still weighs 12 oz. net oz.  Flatulence would still float a body at sea.
Phantom Jim

Phantom Jim

A couple of links to sites that use the "dry canning" technique I generally use.  The meat is fully cooked and placed into the caning jars.  The lid is sealed and the pint jars are pressure canned at 15# for 90 minutes and allowed to room cool.  The jars are wiped down with a damp cloth and properly stored.

The difference between this "dry canning" and other meat canning techniques is that the fully cooked meat is not covered with water.  The water is there to allow for the increased temperature of the pressure cooker (240 degrees F at 10#) to fully penetrate the meat for the required canning time.  "Dry canning" uses fully cooked meats that have no water added.  A longer preheating time with a higher pressure and longer canning time allows the necessary temperature to be reached.

A normal pint of liquid covered ground meat would be processed for 75 minutes at 10# pressure while the "dry canning" pint would be processed for 90 minutes at 15# pressure.

The extra time and pressure insure that the botulinum spores are thoroughly destroyed and the food will be safe to consume.  This technique has some critics who maintain that it is unpredictable, but we have had no failures.  As in any canning technique, follow the instructions exactly and precisely.  Cook any canned foods at least for ten minutes boiling.  Discard any foods that are off color and off smell....DO NOT TASTE ANY OFF FOODS!

http://povertyprepping.blogspot.com/2012/11/dry-canning-meat.html
http://dirttime.com/dry-canning-meat
Phantom Jim

Norman

Jim, Spam does not float.   :)
The engineer in me could not pass up such an easy test.  We buy Spam by the 12 pack, so there had to be a can available.  Its buoyancy is very near neutral, sinks slowly but surely.

Spam is an excellent camping meat, having enough fat to keep it from sticking, and the salt you need after a hard hike.

At home,
Fried with ketchup, most often.
Perfect with eggs and toast.

Baked, top scored,  and a mix of brown sugar and dry mustard all over the top, whole cloves in each diamond.
Sweet potato baked with it.

We lived in a house without refrigeration for a number of years, mid 1930's, Canned Corned Beef, Salmon, Sardines, and Spam were staples, along with dried salt cod and smoked herring.

I have not seen dried salt cod in a store in 50+ years, bought a box about 1964, never saw it in that store again, and never in any others.  When I was a child, it came in a wooden box, and mother soaked the salt out, and saved the water for cooking, we had a cistern, and water was a precious commodity, not to be wasted.  The reduced salt cod was mixed with mashed potato, made into patties, and fried in bacon grease til crispy brown on the outside.  Delicious.

On a less delicious subject, those plastic bags with a re usable check valve scare me, if any liquid sucked through, the thin film of nutrient would be a superhighway for microbes.

I have done and assisted doing literally thousands of pounds of canning, in jars up to gallon size, and a trace of food across the top edge will result in a failed jar.  The two summers on a farm, we canned from the garden every 5 or 6 days, all summer.  Only a very few failed each year, but any jar without a good vacuum was dumped >:(.

Norman

Phantom Jim

Norman

Love your reply,  If SPAM floated we would have life jackets made with it.  I did not expect it to float and the cans would rust away pretty fast.

I love the cod cakes you mention.  I have only had them a few times since I live in Texas, but us Texans can learn a thing or two.  Canning is a very worthwhile endeavor and very amenable to a cruising lifestyle.  Just have a bunch of new lids around and reuse the jars.  A quality pressure cooker will do the canning if you are careful.  I doubt my Hillerange would keep that big 40 quart monstrosity going.

My experience is that the vacuum bags are ok, but if you want real protection for long term storage, go with glass.
Phantom Jim

Norman

My Spam comes in aluminum cans, so no rust.

Norman

CharlieJ

and also comes in individual pouches, but that's sort of expensive. I usually get three meals out of  a can- thinly sliced and fried for breakfast, sliced a bit thicker with mustard and cheese for lunch and cut into chunks and added to what ever for supper, like potatoes as an example
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

Would SPAM by any other name be just as much fun?
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

:D :D You know they had a contest for that name? A high school kid won it- stands for "spiced ham"

Here's a link to the Spam Museum-  https://www.spam.com/museum

and one on history- https://www.spam.com/about

kind of interesting reads
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norman

:) i Was 3 years old when I started eating Spam!

Became addicted early.  ;)

Norman