New Boat - Michigan Edition

Started by Bubba the Pirate, February 12, 2019, 09:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba the Pirate

I've been in Michigan since October helping Mom & Dad thru some health issues. It appears I may be here most of the summer. And since I've been pining for my boat project in Florida, I did the only sensible thing a sailor can do

-- I bought a boat.
[One part to keep me sane, and one part to keep me from looking at other bigger boats.]

She is a Gulf Coast 18, currently buried in the snow three hours north of Grand Rapids, where I am. I'll go get her on some indian summer day when the snow has melted back a little. Can't wait to get back on the water. #thinksummer

My Westsail is under wraps in Fort Pierce. She'll still be there when I get back. The 18-footer will be fun down there as well.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

You'll enjoy the 18
Send pics once you have her
Geez...tons of snow yesterday and today up home! You musta got some of that too.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bubba the Pirate

Yeah, we got hit pretty well.
However, winter has been pretty mild here until about 2 weeks ago. Tons of snow and some frigid temps since then.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norman

Todd, that is a very pretty little daysailor, and sure to be fun to sail.  I hope the health issues settle down soon, and you can return to your Westsail.

How are you fixed with siblings to share on the duties?  Both of mine were on the west coast when my Mother needed help, so my wife and I were the only choice for that duty.  Fortunately, she recovered in a few months, and we returned to a normal way of life.

Norman

Bubba the Pirate

Thanks, Norman.
My sister is very close and we have a brother living in Switzerland. Sis has a job, a house, and family. I am blessed with a freedom from a workaday career job and most other responsibilities, so I came back.

For the record, I really REALLY hate snow but I'm happy to be here. :-)

Edit: I'm not fat and happy enough to just come up here and help. I'm working a third shift factory job so that I can help during the day. I meant that I don't  have a "career" to worry about. My career is fixing up an old biat and sailing her; everything else simply supports that.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapnK

Is that a Garhauer Ladder Vang she has?

;D

Nice lines, she looks like a pleasure to sail.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Bubba the Pirate

I'm waiting - mostly patiently - for the snow to clear enough to go get her.

Full report as soon as I have her towed home.

:)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

Look forward to updates and pictures!

Bubba the Pirate

Picked her up, and brought her home. I have a slip on Muskegon Lake waiting for her. Nice saing lake with a channel to Lake Michigan.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norman

Nice tow rig you have. 

The water is getting warm enough to enjoy sailing up there.  Boats do not have to be big to be fun, that is the fun size.

How soon do you hope to get her wet?

Norman

Captain Smollett

Very cool.

Looking forward to pictures and stories of the adventures.  There is something about 18 ft that is another one of those sweet spots.

Those that can't resist "bigger-boat-itis" don't know what they are missing with these little under-20's.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bubba the Pirate

There's a couple details I need to attend to, and I want to practice raising the mast.

Even given that and the crummy weather forecast this week, she'll be in the water & at the dock by Saturday; Monday at the latest.  [[ !CAN'T  WAIT! ]]
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

👍👍
Yep....boat and vehicle!

Bubba the Pirate

A couple pics. We'll be in the water, at the dock Monday.

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Captain Smollett

HAHA...that first pick, the goalpost on the trailer looked like a stand for the head and torso of the person, like a mannequin of sorts.  My mind was trying to sort that out.

Anyway, nice looking boat.  Have fun!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

I saw the same thing as John. :) She's a looker! Have fun. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Norman

Bubba, that is certainly a fine sailboat for keeping skills up and enjoying your free time.  Those goal posts on the trailer should make launch and retrieve easy and fast.

Your jib halyard has a good bit of length above your sail, and a short piece of line between the stem fitting and the foot of the sail would nicely raise the sail for better visibility, and end pulpit interference.

Norman

Bubba the Pirate

I'll start a new thread when I start sailing.

Not minding "stick with what you know" or "go with your gut" and all that, I attempted to raise the mast using the gin pole that the PO sent with the boat. After a couple spectacular failures, I am convinced that he thought the pole was a good idea, but never tried it himself. Success came the old fashioned way I've always done it on a trailersailer. Run a line from a halyard back from the bow, heft the mast in place, secure the line, and then shackle the forestay. Done it twice, works fine.

Also, tensioning said line gives a headstart to proper forestay tension.

The goalpost/tree on the stern is a good help; a travelling position and a rigging position for the mast.

I've got a couple little projects besides helping Dad with a couple of his this weekend. It's all I can do not to just head for the lake and go sailing!!  Next week ...
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Bubba the Pirate on May 18, 2019, 09:47:39 AM

Not minding "stick with what you know" or "go with your gut" and all that, I attempted to raise the mast using the gin pole that the PO sent with the boat. After a couple spectacular failures, I am convinced that he thought the pole was a good idea, but never tried it himself. Success came the old fashioned way I've always done it on a trailersailer. Run a line from a halyard back from the bow, heft the mast in place, secure the line, and then shackle the forestay. Done it twice, works fine.

Also, tensioning said line gives a headstart to proper forestay tension.

I hear ya!  I tried about four different "systems" for raising the mast on my 18 footer.  Nothing was easier or faster than just good old hefting up with the jib halyard rigged as you describe.

One thing: how do you heft?

The reason I ask is I always found facing forward and starting at the aft end of the cockpit, then walking forward while raising and stepping up on cabin top to be very awkward and I was prone to losing my balance on the step "up" while holding the mast.

I read somewhere, maybe here or on trailer sailor bb, to start facing aft standing on cabin top.  I like that method MUCH better!!

Here's the process just in case you've never tried it.  If you have, hopefully this might be useful for someone.  It is "unconventional."

(1) With mast pinned at the step and leaning aft against the crutch or rail or whatever and with halyard led forward, stand facing after straddling the mast at the aft end of the cabintop or as far aft as you can safely stand.  I close the hatch and stand on it.

(2) Bend over and grab the mast.

(3) Kind of "lean back" while picking up; you use your body weight to pull the mast up.  You might have to use legs a little just to get 'er started, but once she's moving, your weight does the lion's share.

(4) Walk backwards (so forward on the boat) as you lean back and continue to raise.

(5) When the mast is up, you'll end up forward of the mast and in perfect position to grab that halyard with one hand while steadying the mast with the other.  No real exertion here.

(6) Cleat off or whatever you do now with the halyard and finish as usual to tension and pin the forestay.

I've done it this way both on the trailer and on the water, and it just feels to me much more stable and in control than the more "conventional" approach from aft.  If you've never tried it, it sounds on reading the description like it will be less stable and harder to "pull" it up, but it really works well, at least for me on my boat.

So, thanks to whoever in the Internet Ether wrote it up and let me copy the idea!!!  Wish I remember who it was.

As always, YMMV, but I wanted to throw this out there just in case someone might find it useful.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Bubba the Pirate

Hmmm ... you've got me thinking.

For now, i rig a line to the main halyard (both halyards seem too short to do themselves).

[this paragraph is easily ignored]
One thing that lead to the failures (read: the mast falling over into the yard -- YIKES) was that the mast does not pin into the tabernacle. It may not by original but a pin thru the bottom of the mast engages an upside-down "L" slot on the tabernacle, port and starboard. When using the gin pole, just as the bottom aft corner had to go under so the mast could get past 45° or so, that corner lifted the pin back into the horizontal part of the tabernacle slot and the mast could move/twist sideways. CRASH!

[this paragraph answers Cap Smolletts question]
I can reach the mast from the forward end of the cockpit; with a proper grip 20" or so above the tabernacle.  With the trailer hitched to the van, the mast in the tabernacle forward and in the upper crotch of the goalpost/tree aft, I stand at the aft end of the centerboard trunk, lift the mast up and over my head as I step forward. I can get the mast into the tabernacle and vertical without leaving the cockpit. Then bracing the mast with one hand, i can reach the line/halyard with other. Once i have a grip on the line leading forward, i can let go the mast and secure the line. Then its down off the trailer and rig the forestay.

I've done it all of twice, but it is so similar to how I rigged a Chrysler Mutineer in my youth, i expect no problems (other than using muscles i haven't used in a while).
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~