Got one of those dread phone calls this afternoon from the harbor master

Started by CharlieJ, May 30, 2019, 08:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

He said- I hate to tell you but your mast fell down!! they have it laying on the dock. Have to get to boat in morning, for sure.

This mast is wooden and was made in 1961  !!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Darn.  :(
Hope that it's okay. Look forward to your report after going to see it.

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Oh man oh man oh man... CJ will keep my fingers crossed for you. And the mast! I wonder what happened?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

we had some serious winds. Port upper shroud damaged during Harvey- was guyed off. But wind came the other way- snapped a bolt holding stbd lower shroud. Upper was slack and over it went. No apparent damage to mast itself, other than a small chunk missing from foot. Of course vhf coax and mast wiring is ripped loose but that's no biggie. One spreader broken

Mast is now laying on a vacant finger pier, til I return from the BEER Cruise. Then figure how to transport 28 feet of mast to the  house for redo.

All in all, I got very lucky
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Geez CJ...  that would be a call that would scare you.
Glad it turned out "not too bad"
Sounds like getting it to where you can work on it might be as big a job as fixing it.
Hope all goes well.
Enjoy BEER
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

Wow that must have been some SERIOUS wind to snap a bolt. Unless it was corroded? have fun at BEER, looking forward to the 'forensics' when you return. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

lastgreatgeneration

Condolences, bad boat luck. Hope you get it back up and better soon.