Oday Mariner 2+2 conversion to mini Trawler

Started by Frank, August 10, 2019, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Been quiet here lately so thought I'd share my spare time project.
Funny how human nature works... I've trailered sailed all over but have never toured the canals right here in my own area. There's the Rideau Canal, Trent Canal and others... Rather than somewhat cramped motoring in my Suncat, thought Id make a standing headroom lil cruiser with inside helm for rain or windy days with private head and a small dinette. Although only 19ft, it will actually all work! The Mariner has a nice underbody and will be easily driven with a 5hp.  With the Mariners low freeboard, the trick is to creat headroom and not make it look too silly. I think it's turning out about as good as possible.
Had over 50 hours in just stripping parts, cutting cabin, centreboard and cockpit out, then glassing in the centreboard hole. (And scraping old peeling bottom paint) It's been fun and I tackle it when there is time and I feel motivated. Much like a renovation on a home, Lots of time spent ripping, then you turn a corner and things start shaping up. Well... after all those hours it's finally turning the corner.
While certainly not for everyone, it should be s great lil
Cruiser to do the canals here as well as a few north channel cruises.
Great old guys boat. Easily trailered, super inexpensive to run with a slippery displacement hull and a 5hp and only about 13-1400lbs finished.
I know..... I'm nuts..., 😁
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Corner turned last week...
It's high for a low freeboard boat but looks better than expected..

CapnK

She's gonna look shippy. :) Did you put any ballast in her, or do you plan to...?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Yep.
There were 2 slabs of lead glassed in on either side of the centreboard trunk. Guessing 100-125lbs each and they will be going back in only laying flat.
The house is actually quite light, only 1/4 in ply that will have a 6oz glass skin for weather protection. The roof is very lightly framed with 1X2, pine and not made to walk on. You would motor a Mariner all day board up so this shouldn't be too much different in the end....
Time will tell.
Love the underbody shape and think it will be a super cruiser at 5.5 knots.

Frank

They lay fore/aft but vertical as built. I'll have them fore/aft but laying flat.
Amazingly heavy for their size!!
Pic is before I got brutal with the saws-all

Captain Smollett

That's a neat looking little project.  19 ft "trawler" is a cool concept.  The CDory's are awesome looking little boats, and I'm betting this will be a rival.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Thanks John
It's been a fun project so far.
Won't plain like s Cdory but will be super frugal with s 5hp.
Hope all is well in your world!
Take care

Roof on yesterday

CapnK

One interesting thing I have noticed every time I travel on one of my 'slow, small' boats in conjunction with large, luxury boats: mostly we go the same distance every day.

For example, bringing the A30 down from the Chessie at 4.5 kts, I was usually up and moving at dawn or soon thereafter. Long about 8:30-10, 'the parade' would start to catch and pass me for an hour or two. By early/midafternoon I only saw stragglers or 'new' boats. Late in the afternoon into early evening and I'd be at the spot where most of the fast runners were tied up for the night, and I'd usually go on making miles until right at sunset.

I'm sure it confused some of them somewhat to notice that they had to keep passing the same small slow sailboat every morning for several days in a row... :D

You'll have a blast in that thing. You should Loop it. ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

I'm sure you did confuse a few 😁
Yep... you can put miles on just by being steady.

I'm thinking/hoping the project turns out good for its intended use.
Will be an awesome shallow water boat!
Easy to find anchorages and a 15-17lb anchor will be lots!
If it turns out decent, fun little boats attract folks and I'm sure "social" time at locks will be easy.

SeaHusky

I can't remember who but one of the Swedish sailboat designers made the observation that the most efficient displacing motorboat hull shapes are small sailboats with the keel removed.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

CapnK

I imagine you've thunked about this, but - maybe you should go to a 9.9hp? A 5hp will push it but to get 5.5 kts as a cruise speed you'll be running at 3/4 to full throttle all the time with a 5hp, whereas with a 9.9 you'll be at half-throttle, running quieter, cooler, smoother and easier on the engine, *with* a little in yer back pocket if you need to force your way upwind.

If it's a Tohamercissan, get the 6hp instead of the 5, it's the exact same motor, weight and all, but with a different venturi in the carb so that it develops full potential hp, isn't artificially restricted... 62#'s IIRC. Reliable little motor.
Same thing with the 8 and 9.9 models, they weigh only 84#'s.

Yamaha doesn't have a 9 (they jump from a 6 to their 15), and the Suzuki - which is a nice engine, I had a 2.5 and it was great - shows that their 9 weighs a whopping 120#'s (woah!).

Or find a nice older 2 stroke Johnson 15hp, only 72#'s - and plane that sucker if ya need to. ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

OMG, Step away from the computer for a bit and Frank's at it again.  :o Lookin good!
I sold the CDory because I wasn't getting out in it enough, now down to the Typhoon and Ariel, though the Ariel still just sits on the trailer. Speaking of trailers I had to build a new one under the Cape Dory, should post that process somewhere I guess. Glad to see you are still at it Frank.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Tim, It's s sickness...  😂
Good to hear from ya!
How's life?
Are you getting out on the Typhoon much?
Pictures!!

Won't be near done by the time I head west next week but it's "looking like a boat" now and fun to put a few hours into several times a week. Some things go good... others are a PITA. Fun tho...  Got the little head walls in today. One wall was one cut... the other about 20 🙄😅

Frank

Before leaving to head west..

Banner around windshield overhang on

Interior ports side:
Aft galley started. Seat box's made for dinette
Starboard:
Aft head, pantry will have 3 shelves, helm

Frank

It's been a cold, wet and late spring up here. No heat in the shop so only the last couple of weeks have been ok to get back at it. Was that "damp cold" that us over 60 folk hate.
Just putting in spare time, but have a step installed, upper cabinet in the galley, a drawer, a head door, windows cut, slider tracks built, the companionway hatch built and several trim pieces attached.
Learning lots....

Tim

Holy Smoke Frank! I thought I was being productive with my little project, good job!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Just poking along as time allows Tim.
Lots of property projects and building a new storage shed too.
Calling it "geriatric builders" as my helper is my 73 yr old brother in law.
Got the windows fitted and fastened, sliding side window tracks made. Will remove to epoxy and paint cabin before final install.
Companionway drop boards are now made and decided to cut plywood to ad to foredeck to make bow look higher. Will glass them over before final install.
This has been a "no plan, create as ya go" type project. More fun that way..
Once the interior is paint ready, I intend to spray it. Will be so fast and easy.
Nice to see some stain on a few pieces. That means a corner has been turned...

CapnK

Such a neat project, she's lookin' good Frank!  8)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Corner turned
Getting tons of misc done, then windows and hatch's off to prep for paint.
Way way more hours than anticipated..... but that's normal

Frank