Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Put a few things back on...
Counter top to come yet
7 gallon water below sink, hand pump to be installed
Butane stove on counter coming
Super insulated cooler below
Outdoor carpet in

LOTS left to do and paint sure shows where more filling and sanding needed!

Getting a bit excited as it's finally taking shape
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Jim_ME

Wow, Frank, That is cool!

I've been doing some dreaming about Canal-Far'in ever since spending part of a few days on a Nordica 16 on the Hudson River near the top of Manhattan on some freak warm days in late Dec/early Jan 16 years ago. I thought about how much fun it would be to keep going up the River to Lake Champlain, and then maybe back down and West on the Erie Canal System, or up to the Saint Lawrence.

I think your boat would be great for staying warm/dry/cool/shaded, and roomy with standing headroom.

I had an extra old Mariner 19 hull/deck/cockpit that I thought that I might find a rig for and return to sailing service, but never did...maybe because I had another that was complete and sail-able. I did launch it on the nearby river reservoir and motor around with Dad and the Sea Dog a few times [see photo]. That might have been a good boat for trawler conversion, although I probably would have been skeptical of the idea, until now and seeing what you've done with your's.       

Frank

They're a good Hull Jim
Slippery and easily driven. Heck a 6hp is more than enough.
An 8hp twin about perfect...
Cool you have a hull n deck!
Have fun!

Frank

Got an energy burst yesterday.....
After 60, ya take advantage of them 😄

Frank

CapnK

She is looking sharp!

What do you figure your transatlantic trip time will be? I'm guessing a Nova Scotia -> Ireland route? ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Frank, you never cease to make me. Nice job!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Quote from: CapnK on August 28, 2020, 09:09:06 AM

What do you figure your transatlantic trip time will be? I'm guessing a Nova Scotia -> Ireland route? ;D

Well Capt K, this little ship is for the Ottawa River here at home 😄
I live very close to the Rideau and Trent canals as well, but never travelled them.
Hopefully this lil boat will take me.
No trans Atlantic's, but high adventure none the less 😄

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on August 23, 2020, 10:20:46 PM
They're a good Hull Jim
Slippery and easily driven. Heck a 6hp is more than enough.
An 8hp twin about perfect...
Cool you have a hull n deck!
Have fun!

I sold that hull and deck years ago, Frank, and sold the sailable Mariner (used the same 3.5 hp outboard that I shared with my Typhoon), too, to get a slightly smaller fixed keel sailboat that I should not have sold. But a few years ago, I saw another Mariner for sale cheap on Cape Cod, with no trailer. I had a trailer and drove down to get it and tow it back with the car. Was the first time I had been out on Cape Cod. Got to view the Cape Cod Canal going over the bridge out and back. Have still not yet been through that canal by boat. Anyway, now I am trying to sell the Mariner and trailer, with not much luck. With the current buyers market, many bigger and better boats can be found for less than I used to think mine was worth. Maybe I should link this thread and market it as a potential trawler...?

I think that you should measure up what you have done by winging it with your good eye, and start selling "Mariner Trawler Conversion Drawings"...with step by step instructions and a materials list...?

You DO make it look easy. :) Sometimes I wonder whether you have a whole crew of workers, like Santa's Elves, that have to scurry and hide when you take the photos and then come back out and get back to work...

w00dy

Thanks for sharing, Frank. She's looking great and hopefully the process and your "geriatric adventures" have been fun too. Can't wait to see her in the water.

Frank

[/quote]

But a few years ago, I saw another Mariner for sale cheap on Cape Cod, with no trailer. I had a trailer and drove down to get it and tow it back with the car. Was the first time I had been out on Cape Cod. Got to view the Cape Cod Canal going over the bridge out and back. Have still not yet been through that canal by boat. Anyway, now I am trying to sell the Mariner and trailer, with not much luck. With the current buyers market, many bigger and better boats can be found for less than I used to think mine was worth. Maybe I should link this thread and market it as a potential trawler...?

I think that you should measure up what you have done by winging it with your good eye, and start selling "Mariner Trawler Conversion Drawings"...with step by step instructions and a materials list...?

You DO make it look easy. :) Sometimes I wonder whether you have a whole crew of workers, like Santa's Elves, that have to scurry and hide when you take the photos and then come back out and get back to work...
[/quote]

Pretty hard to make plans, this was more of a "hope for the best build".
No,plans at all.
Front window height was dictated by desired headroom inside. Once there, that determined the aft wall heights on either side of the companionway.
The Center ceiling section is all standing headroom, the side roof sections drop 6inchs lower. This helps make it look less boxy and top heavy. Everything else was simply "what seemed right" ....
I did 75% of the work myself. My 75yr old brother in law (not a carpenter or boater) helped tail the tablesaw or hold things as needed when he visited. A great help and awesome company.
Learned lots!
You know... the "if I ever did this again I would.......??" Type thing...
I happen to have a derelict 24ft shark hull......hmmmmmm 😄

Frank

This is my brother in law Blake. He's got over 10yrs on me and still has hair colour! I'm nearly white now!
He's been good company and a great hand when he dropped by!

CapnK

So is she ready to go? Looks like it from here! Looking forward to some video of her underway. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Close Capt K
Just cushions which I've got the foam for and then rigging.
Need to get inside throttle and  steering figured out to the outboard
That will be a next spring job....
Yep... all the big jobs are done.

Frank

Misty rain all day here do started cushions in the shop.
I saw this in a magazine years ago.... like 25+
This is my 4th time doing them and it really is tooooooo easy.
No, they are not reversible, but many factory cushions are'nt as well...

I bought a 4inch topper at Walmart for $119 Canadian
It will have enough foam for the V berth, helm and dinette seats as well as the back rests.
Bought 4 meters (about 4.5 yards) of heavy material at "fabricland" for $4/m

I had old 3/16 plywood kicking around. Taped together if need be

Take your measurements

Cut your foam

Cut your plywood 3/4" LESS all the way around

Lay out your material on the table. Cut so there is plenty to come up and "wrap" the edges to staple to the plywood

Start in the Center of one side pulling up tightly as you staple. Use stainless steel staples

Work out to edges

Now, start at Center of opposite side pulling tightly and staple.

Repeat to remaining side or sides. Wrap corners (trim as needed)

Trim off excess material

Too easy

Cyric30

Literal WTF on those cushions

Why have i not seen this before im mean seriously...LOL :D

Frank

Told ya they were easy! 😄😄

When I saw it in a sailing mag back then I thought the same.....
Cushions are so expensive to get made. These sure aren't

PS... colour choice is because I drink red wine

Frank

Had an extra hour or so today so did the seats,
Back rest tomorrow...

Frank

Made the back rests today
Carpet down
That's it for this year
Off to storage when the rain lets up