News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Keeping tools from rusting

Started by Owly055, September 27, 2019, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

In the  marine environment rust is a constant issue.  Rust is oxidation, and normally requires the presence of moisture, and the process is aggravated by salt, or acids.   Oiling helps, but only so much.   

I have not tried this (disclaimer), but see absolutely no reason why it would not work.    Rust cannot progress without an oxygen source, and even at the bottom of the sea there is sufficient dissolved oxygen to facilitate this.    It has been established that tools that are vacuum sealed in food saver bags do not rust........ while sealed.    That is inconvenient and expensive with frequently used items.   I recently stumbled upon what looks like the answer to our prayers.   That is the Foodsaver reusable plastic storage containers, which can be pumped down using an ordinary foodsaver.   https://www.foodsaver.com/food-storage-bags-and-containers/vacuum-food-containers/.  These are not cheap, but are dirt cheap compared to tools.  Spray your tools with a bit of oil, drop them in one of these, and they should never rust.   Presumably most cruisers have a foodsaver or similar product........ Why wouldn't you??   From food products to unused clothing items, etc, to this, the possible uses are limitless.   I am currently constructing an infused foam core chamber sealer, designed to use the far less expensive bags.......and sturdier..... such as stores and packing plants, etc use.   These are rapidly dropping in price.... as low as $300 these days on line.  I'm building with the idea of having a light weight unit that can be built into a boat using one of those tiny Robinaire vacuum pumps.  A built in unit can serve as stowage when not being used.   
     Some folks consider a microwave, and a blender, and an electric coffee grinder, and other yuppie toys indispensible........ I consider a vacuum sealer, a watermaker, a hooka, a hand operated washing machine system of some sort, a sailing dinghy, and a bicycle to be necessities......

H.W.
                                                                                                          H.W.   

s/v Faith

I love my sealer, and have used it for all kinds of things.  I don't know about tools though, I generally want to be able to get to them in a hurry....  I find wiping them with lanolin helps...  using lanolin hand cleaner *(without pumice)* really slows rust. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Owly055

Quote from: s/v Faith on September 27, 2019, 05:54:35 PM
I love my sealer, and have used it for all kinds of things.  I don't know about tools though, I generally want to be able to get to them in a hurry....  I find wiping them with lanolin helps...  using lanolin hand cleaner *(without pumice)* really slows rust.

I advocated the Foodsaver box specifically for the reason you state.........  It's clear plastic..... You can see what's inside.  It has a push button vacuum release.  The big one is large enough to hold a fair number of hand tools.....  I'd probably wrap them in a towel myself.  Push the button to release vacuum, lift the lid off.... just as simple as opening a latch, no hinges or latch.   When you are done with a job, drop the tools back in, hook the hose up, and in a minute or two it's sealed air tight.  It's a pretty ideal solution, though I would be happier with a box specifically made for tools........ Let's see if the image comes out...... I don't seem to have a lot of luck with images here ;-(

Dimensions:   6-1/4" W x 12-1/2" L x 4-1/2

A collection of these for various tools and things could be a real asset.

CharlieJ

I've often used the foodsaver bags aboard- keeping spare parts dry, such as spare spark plugs, filters, etc. Also work VERY well for off season clothing storage, such as sweaters, hooded sweat clothes, etc. Takes less room in lockers :) In addition I kept extra sheets sealed. Which worked quite nicely when a water line broke and flooded a  locker, and I found vacuum sealed packs floating, bone dry inside
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Owly055

I'd love to see someone design a vacuum sealable tool box for marine use, designed to be pumped down using either the accessory port on your food saver or a small vacuum pump. 
     The chamber sealer I'm constructing will be large enough to be a substantial storage box, and ultimately will be built in, and double for stowage.  It would be perfect for this purpose..... Drop a tool bag into it, pump it down and leave it until you need the tools again.  An ordinary pressure cooker with a good seal in it will hold vacuum for a LONG time.  I use one for cold sealing canning jars........... I have blocked off all standard fittings on the lid, and installed an automotive air conditioning connector and vacuum rated valve.  I've simply left this under vacuum and forgotten about it for a few weeks at a stretch, and had to release considerable vacuum to open it.......... A 30 quart pressure canner could hold a LOT of tools and / or hardware.   

H.W.

SeaHusky

When you started with the need for oxygen for rust to occur I thought would suggest replacing the air in whatever container you have with carbon dioxide from a soda machine.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Owly055

I did purchase one of the Foodsaver containers....... about $20, to use for food storage, specifically salad greens.   They are very sturdy and well constructed, and I'm able to use my refrigeration vacuum pump on it without collapsing it..   I was a bit concerned as Foodsavers only draw about 24" and the refrigeration pump draws down to 30".   I use the refrig pump in the house all the time to vacuum jars using a pressure cooker as a vacuum chamber.   By drawing a vacuum, I can for example keep a half. avocado from going brown.  Fresh fruits and salad greens last many times longer, and I use it with my green juices.... which I make with a slow auger type juicer, so I can make quantity and not worry about oxidation.  For a single guy like me that lives nearly 100 miles from a decent grocery store,  it's a money saver.   
    In any case, any metal items, electronics, etc, could be put in these to prevent rusting and corrosion.   I wish there were larger ones, but they are great IMHO.

H.W.