Moving my base to Wilmington, NC for a few months

Started by Bubba the Pirate, November 14, 2019, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba the Pirate

I will be leaving Michigan (too late to avoid snow and temps in the teens) next Thursday, 11/21. I'm headed to Detroit for a dinner date, then south to Fort Pierce to empty a storage unit and see some friends, then on to Navassa, east of Wilmington where my boat is. I have a few months of work and then we'll be back in the water. The wandering will finally begin.

Currently, I'm cleaning up, clearing out, and packing; while frantically ripping my music from CDs to an SSD. I have ~30 to go and already have 598 (yes, five hundred and ninety eight) albums on the drive!!
(I've been ripping music on and off for the year I've been up here in Michigan)

I just finally posted the last installment of a 5 part series on my trip in July to pick up the boat and get her hauled out.
That series begins here: https://www.bubbathepirate.com/2019/08/changes-and-chances.html
Thanks again to Kurt for posting about the 'older fella' that was looking for a good home for his boat.
That post is here: http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=5093.0

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

Keep us posted as yo7 get her ready to launch...
Pictures 😄
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Bubba the Pirate

The road rig:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MtbHydBurmANkFD89

Trip Update: I made it to Fort Pierce saw some friends and emptied out the storage unit that I had here. The place where I'm camping is pretty inexpensive, so I have decided to wait until Thanksgiving traffic slows down before I head north. I will be back at the boat by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have some annual maintenance-type work to do and to make her my own. I will report back once I'm started but the boat should be back in the water fairly soon.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

I've camped in a camp area by Ft Pierce, so long ago (70's) I forget the name. What was/is it called?

Also spend about a month anchored in the creek by Crackerboys yard. Worked there for a while- In the 80's
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

I'm camping in the Savannas Recreation Area, it's a county park tho there is a state oark nearby with a similar name.

You were prolly anchored in/near Taylor Creek, near Cracker Boys.

It's a nice area around here, parts of which I'll miss a lot.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Taylor Creek- That's it.  :) Right off the boat storage barn. Had a good friend there named Larry Summerlin. His uncle was the mayor and his cousin was police chief.

Good times. The contractor I was working for was really down when I left- offered me a full time job. 

edited to add-

And interesting point. The marine patrol had us re-anchor- we were told the city/county line ran down the center of Taylor Creek. 24 hour limit on city hall, no limit on county half. So we reset our anchor onto the county half. And stayed a month, with no hassle. Boat was floating in almost the same spot :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

Ha ha, nice.
The Marine Patrol seems less cordial these days but I haven't had any specific trouble with them myself. 
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

I have arrived!   Although I am sick as a dog and holing up in a motel until my head and my chest clear up.
It's colder here than I had hoped. [I know, I know  ...  it _is_ December]
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norman

Beautiful blue sky in the picture.  That does go with a tendency to be cold this time of year.  Cloudy comes with warmer, and wet.  Like you say, it is December.

A motel is a much better place to be when sick, take care and get well.

We will be watching for the work to proceed, and the return to the water, where boats belong.

Frank

How are you doing?
How's the boat projects?
Hope your cold is better!

Bubba the Pirate

True confession: My chest cold may have affected my judgement but I decided that the average temperature in Wilmington thru January was going to make the use of paint, resin or caulk difficult or impossible. I bugged out. I'm going to be in Northern Florida until about the third week of January.

Just now the days have started to get longer. But the effective time to work, between the morning warming up and the sun going down about suppertime, I was surely going to be frustrated by what I could get done. Also, I @#^$&*&^%#@ hate being cold. I wouldn't have been having any fun either.

And true to form and my luck etc. etc.  This week the weather has almost been better in Wilmingon than here in Waldo, FL.  Regardless, I'm here for the duration; doing some writing, getting some exercise and walking across the road for the Farmer's Market. I've got a few boat projects to do here.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on Dyneema standing rigging. If so, next week I'll be ordering the stuff  to make some dyneema deadeyes here at the camp.

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~