News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bubba's Boat Projects

Started by Bubba the Pirate, January 03, 2020, 04:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

Since we have the same boat I am always looking for better ways to do things.

I couldn't quite figure out a way to do that much solar. It's a bunch. I currently have 60 watts (?? or maybe 45 watts...3 smallish panels tied together) of solar on a swing up bracket on the starboard lifelines. I was thinking of doing the same on the port side. I have dreams of making a hard dodger (my current dodger has seen better days) and was thinking of mounting some semi-flexible panels on top. I must be getting old because refrigeration is more and more appealing every year. My stern rail has too much poop on it now (propane, Lifesling, BBQ, dinghy outboard), so it's hard to imagine adding more solar there.

I need new batteries, and would really love to install LiFePO4. But, I have too many other major expenses going on now to swing $2400, plus a new a/c charger that knows how to handle the chemistry. Maybe in a few years the prices will be a little lower and my budget a little bigger. I think Lithium batteries are quite good at giving up the juice for the starter as well as taking pretty much as much charge as you can throw at them. I'm pretty sure you can get full power out of them until they are almost dead (which you amazingly can do without damage). But if you run without a starting bank, maybe it would be a good idea to carry one of those portable battery boosters, just in case. I assume it would be able to crank the engine.

I did spring for a 70amp Balmar alternator and regulator (the stock internally regulated 30amp car style alternator isn't that great at charging the house bank). It was on sale at Defender, so it seemed like a good time. I was thinking of adding another Group 31 to the boat (there are currently two group 29 house batteries that I'm going to replace with group 31, and a group 24 starter under the port quarterberth); but there really isn't much space for it. Perhaps with the better charging setup it won't be quite as important..

I have a Honda generator (Eu2000 I think) which I like. I can run power tools with it, as well as a little heater if necessary (not at the same time!). I've been thinking for years of a good place to store it that isn't in the cabin. The best I can come up with is in the cockpit right by the companionway. I could build a box around it that would sort of work like a bridge deck. It would make getting in and out of the companionway a little tougher. And it would shrink an already small cockpit. And whatever I came up with would have to be removable in order to open the cockpit hatch to the engine room. So maybe not the best idea. I will have to look into the recall.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Bubba the Pirate

Yes, I don't yet have an idea for stowing my Honda; or the Sailrite for that matter.

Someone on the FB Tiny Liveaboard group advised to make two piles; one of stuff you haven't used lately and another of stuff you think you can't live without. Then throw away both piles.

Everything is up for review whether I'm taking it or not; including the Sailrite anf thr Honda. :-)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

skylark

Are sailrite sewing machines good?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Bubba the Pirate

It's built like a tank. Can sew thru lots of layers of tough material. I'm not a pro, nor have I used it regularly, but I have done some upholstery, some canvaswork and some sail repair. It has never let me down unless it was my fault.

I got a pretty good deal on a gently used one.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~