Chesapeake 2020 Sail(far)-in

Started by Godot, January 27, 2020, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

This has been mentioned in another thread...but...

Who's interested in getting together on the water somewhere in the Chesapeake this summer?

Depending on who is interested, when they are available, and where they are located, perhaps we can find a reasonably convenient place to raft up for a day.

I'm in Middle River, in the northern Chesapeake. I'm guessing there may be some interested parties further south.

An idea, and a location I'm pretty familiar with, is the Rhode River, just off the West River south of Annapolis. I figure it is a days sail from places around Middle River where I am, to Solomons down south, to Saint Michaels and other places on the Eastern shore. It's a big, easy anchorage with good protection and holding. There is a little island for dog walking, and while there isn't any direct access to provisioning, I think a few good places exist on the West River, and of course Annapolis is not that far away. There are certainly many other options as well.

Just an idea.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

Sounds great. I've done a lot of the Chesapeake but wouldn't mind doing it again. Have to see how my shoulders work out- probably due for two surgeries.

Let's gab about it on the Thursday night chat
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norman

I plan to participate in any Chesapeake get together.

Not too hot weather, I hope, but after the warm air is here.

Norman

Godot

I'll try to be on Thursday night; but I work nights now-a-days, so I can only get on if things are dead quiet here, which is a poop-shoot.

It doesn't really matter to me when we do it. I think the best sailing is in September and October. Summer is a bit hot and still. But, any excuse to get on the water works for me. I hope to get the boat in the water as soon as possible; but I'm still working on some major projects so I'm not sure when the launch date will be.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Captain Smollett

I'm still interesting in bringing the trailer boat up.  Maybe we can drop in on ya'll.

Can't commit though; lots going on here.  Two teenagers is only the start of it.   :D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cruiser2B

I'd be interested in a meet up. I'm on the southern Chessy
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Crazer

I would be thrilled to be a part of this. Fayaway lives in Annapolis, and we've been to the Rhode River anchorage several times-it's one of our favorites, especially earlier and later in the season when it's not as crowded. She goes back in in April so I'm up for it any time (except Mother's day weekend-can't miss my own wedding!)
-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD

CharlieJ

we have a chat session every Thursday evening at 1730 (cdt). Would be a good place to hash out plans, date, etc
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

I'm definitely interested, even if I can't get my boat down there. Might be able to scrounge up a local boat or come aboard with some of youse. Of course, I have no idea what I'll be doing in another month, much less later this summer but that's why its nice to have an idea, far in advance and plan ahead.

That said, if anyone wants to take a vacation up to Boston, I live near the airport and can host you. Come hang out and sail w/me!

jotruk

is there a date yet for the group get to gether in the chesepeke
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Godot

Quote from: jotruk on March 07, 2020, 01:47:51 PM
is there a date yet for the group get to gether in the chesepeke

Not yet. This is really just an idea more than a plan.

But, let's start to change that.

I propose we plan on meeting up on the Rhode River south of Annapolis. It's a large, easy anchorage. Alternatively, if most people are further north we can try Fairlee Creek (a pretty nice, well protected, somewhat shallow anchorage with an exciting entrance and perhaps too many party boats on nice weekends...north of the Bay Bridge on the Eastern Shore). If more people are further south, perhaps we can find someplace in the neighborhood of Solomon's Island (the mouth of the Patuxent River). I don't think I personally will have enough time off this year to go much further south than that (next year should be much better).

I further propose we do this in September. The weather starts getting more pleasant around then. However, if we have active cruisers who want to attend, chime in when you think you will be in the neighborhood, and perhaps we can choose a different month.

If someone is in the area without a boat, we can work on getting you on a boat. There are marinas in the neighborhood we can probably stage out of.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Bubba the Pirate

The Rhode River looks good. September is good for me; especially mid. First weekend is Labor Day. 2nd or 3rd weekend would be good for me. I'm scheduled to be in Stuart, FL 10/26. I'll be getting antsy by the end of September to head south.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

As has been suggested, the Thursday night chats would be an ideal place to discuss this :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

The chat is great for chatting.

In my opinion, the value in having the discussion here, like this, is that the full discussion and historical details are easily accessible and even searchable. In addition, everyone can access and participate on their own time when it's convenient for them; regardless of work schedules or life commitments.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crazer

September in Rhode River sounds good. Especially at this point since it looks like everyone's sailing plans are being brought to a halt for a while-hopefully we'll have some resolution or at least a break by September.
-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD

Godot

Some good news: Recreational boating is once again allowed on the Chesapeake! I'm not sure why it was restricted anyhow (boats are pretty isolated...provided you aren't in a big raft up party). But, we appear to be good to go now.

So...further narrowing down a date...I propose we meet the weekend of September 19/20 on the Rhode River south of Annapolis.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Bubba the Pirate

Sounds good. I believe I'm in for that. Boat is still out of the water but I'm doing something wrong of we're not back in well before then.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Godot

I'm gonna try to attach a chart fragment showing the suggested location...
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Bubba the Pirate

I was poking around using Aqua Maps and discovered that the Rode River anchorages are used by the SSCA boats during the Annapolis Gam. The Gam will be the following weekend, 9/25-27. This seems like a major snowbird stop. There will likely be boats there already on the 19th and 20th. The reviews say this is a very large open area. I would say we definitely don't want to do it any later and might even consider doing it the weekend previous, 9/12&13.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~