Chesapeake 2020 Sail(far)-in

Started by Godot, January 27, 2020, 09:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

The SSCA moved their gam to the Maryland Yacht Club in Pasadena a couple years ago. We shouldn't have to compete with them.  And while it's a nice anchorage, there really isn't much in the way of amenities there, so I wouldn't expect that many snowbirds. However, I'm not married to that date. We can do it the previous weekend if that makes sense. Voting is now open!

I've been to the gam when it was held there at Camp Letts and there was plenty of room for lots and lots of boats. That's one reason I suggested the location. There is a place to walk a dog on Big Island. I think the "Honeydipper" pump out boat still services the Rhode River. If people want shore side services, a little trip is necessary, but nothing outrageous. There are a couple marinas up Cadle Creek. Leave the Rhode River and head up West River and you come to Galesville which has a good anchorage, a public wharf with a park, a little deli/grocery store, a chandelery and a restaurant or two. Annapolis is also only a dozen or so mile away and is worth a visit.

Hopefully by September we will be more or less back to a normal life and not back in lock down mode.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Norman

:)  I have overnighted in Rhode River before, good holding bottom, sheltered from most wind and waves for normal storms.

The weather is beginning to cool by then, but the water is about max for the summer, so a dip in the water is pleasant.  I do not know about the present, but in the past, speed boat and skiing was less active than some of the nearby locations such as the South River.

I vote for the date and place.

Norman

Bubba the Pirate

Sounds like you have better information than I do. That works for me. I had found some apparently outdated info on Active Captain.

Let's do it!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crazer

I'm in for the 19th/20th at Rhode River. Hey, the boat might even back in the water by then!  ::)
-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD

CapnK

I might be able to trailer the US18 up. September is high 'cane season, tho, and if there is one anywhere near or heading this way, I'd have to call it off.

Looking at charts (here: https://www.charts.noaa.gov/BookletChart/12270_BookletChart.pdf ) and Goog maps, the water behind Big Island is 5-6' deep with not much around. Is that where you are talking about anchoring? Would probably be considered too skinny for most cruisers but more than enough for most of us (all?).

Will the Smithsonian folks get upset if there's loud partying with lotsa drinking and fighting and maybe smashing rum bottles and/or gunfire over there, as is likely?
;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

PS - Hey Avery, did you tie the knot or what? ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

Quote from: CapnK on May 17, 2020, 05:46:49 PM
I might be able to trailer the US18 up. September is high 'cane season, tho, and if there is one anywhere near or heading this way, I'd have to call it off.

Looking at charts (here: https://www.charts.noaa.gov/BookletChart/12270_BookletChart.pdf ) and Goog maps, the water behind Big Island is 5-6' deep with not much around. Is that where you are talking about anchoring? Would probably be considered too skinny for most cruisers but more than enough for most of us (all?).

Will the Smithsonian folks get upset if there's loud partying with lotsa drinking and fighting and maybe smashing rum bottles and/or gunfire over there, as is likely?
;D

There's lots of room all over the place. Sure, we can do it behind the island. Or in front. Or down the river a little bit in another little "cove" that's there. I've been in all of them and they all work. I think the SSCA had 80 or more boats in this anchorage once, and there was still room. I rode out a hurricane Joaquin at anchor there in 2015. Happily, Joaquin went out to sea and we didn't get a direct strike; but it was still windy and unnerving. There is decent protection there.

As far as the Smithsonian goes, the wife and I were gently removed by federal police one year when taking an unauthorized walk at the Environmental Research Center. So long as we aren't shooting at them, they probably won't shoot back (although, this is Maryland, and there is a decided unfair prejudice against folks playing with toys that go "boom"). Otherwise, the drinking, fighting, and smashing rum bottles is called summer.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Crazer

Quote from: CapnK on May 17, 2020, 05:48:45 PM
PS - Hey Avery, did you tie the knot or what? ;D

I sure did! We got lucky and all the pieces fell into place despite the current situation. Obviously it was a small ceremony-six people and three dogs, all at a safe distance!  ;D

I like to sneak back into the cove past the little camp marina-usually fewer boats there and no one to mind some music and bottle smashing  :P The whole anchorage is very protected. We weathered 20-30 knots from the north in November and were completely comfortable.
-Avery

Annapolis, MD

CharlieJ

Congratulations. Wishing you well
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Norman

Best wishes for both of you, Avery.  These days, putting together such an event is an amazing challenge.  I am glad you could do it.

Norman

CapnK

Congrats on getting the Admiral to sign-on! Without a press gang, even...  ;D Wishing you many many years of good and happy sailing together!!!

---

I'm thinking that the US18, though a nice sailing boat, is more oriented towards daysailing with 2-4 folks in the rather large cockpit. This means that despite the length of the boat, the cuddy is small and short, and ingress/egress is sort of a pain, with only a vertical opening. It's more of a storage space that you can fit into if you really want. Displacement is 550#'s or so, empty. There's a centerboard and trunk inside right at the aft end of the cuddy, and the mast is supported by the cabin top over that 'companionway', so there's not an easy way to mod it to 'fix' the drawbacks and make it more of a microcruiser, something that could do the Tx200, Fl120, a Keys trip maybe... :)

This would be about 1/4 of the weight and otherwise function pretty much the same. I could make it pretty quickly and easily, with a larger opening for access to the cuddy, keep the same lateen rig or make it into a lug easily. Hmmm...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Crazer

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm a lucky guy and she mostly puts up with the boat stuff  :D  She even goes sailing with me sometimes!
-Avery

Annapolis, MD

Bubba the Pirate

Welp.  I'm out.
In my amateur, semi-scientific opinion, we're in for a second wave of COVID. I've decided I didn't want to be caught out as a freelancer on a small boat if/when we get shutdown again or some other disruption. I've gone back to work in a 'real' job. This will delay the final push to get sv Ruth Ann back in the water.

I'm back on the road; probably thru Feb.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Godot

Quote from: Bubba the Pirate on June 30, 2020, 06:17:45 AM
Welp.  I'm out.
In my amateur, semi-scientific opinion, we're in for a second wave of COVID. I've decided I didn't want to be caught out as a freelancer on a small boat if/when we get shutdown again or some other disruption. I've gone back to work in a 'real' job. This will delay the final push to get sv Ruth Ann back in the water.

I'm back on the road; probably thru Feb.

I'm sorry to hear that. This fall is a mystery as to how things will work out. I'm trying to be optimistic.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Godot

For the time being...still a go for September 19/20 if there is still interest.

I'm getting a new job which I think I can work around. COVID is still a thing, which might throw a wrench into the works. You never know about the odd hurricane that may come trippin' up the Chesapeake. But as of this moment, we are still a go.

Give a shout if it still looks good for all of you, or if this just isn't our year.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

CharlieJ

I would love to. BUT- My shoulder replacement surgery has been put on hold due to some thing called Covid. Seems it's elective and not critical :( :(
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Crazer

I'm still in for the moment-we'll see how things play out in the next month but as of now I feel we're relatively safe in Maryland.
-Avery

Annapolis, MD

Godot

Oh, look at that. September 19/20 is this coming weekend.

Crazer, I think you are the only one who seems optimistic this year. We should try this again next year without the whole pandemic thing happening.

I can sort of do it; but I just started a new job (this morning) so can't take the couple days for travel that I was expecting. Since you are in Annapolis, perhaps if you are still interested we can split the difference a bit and meet up on the Magothy somewhere. I wouldn't be leaving Middle River until Saturday morning.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

CharlieJ

darn - I wish I could go, but still fighting the back, AND the torn rotator cuff. And my lady friend who crewws with me is now living in San Felipe, Baja, Mexico
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

It came up fast didn't it? I've still got the Watkins 35 job hanging over me (translate: not paid yet), along with other work, and haven't had the chance to sort the daysailer out yet WRT outfitting it for over-nighting, and also important, ensuring the trailer is roadworthy of the drive.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)