A article about cruising right now.

Started by Cyric30, April 18, 2020, 10:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

wanted to share this for everyone, some of you may have seen it some may have not.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/04/17/moored-in-a-fragile-paradise/

Norman

Good post, Joe.

Cruisers sometimes lose track of why they went in the first place.  The problem is not that they can't cruise, just that their waters are restricted.

They are not trapped there because they not allowed to leave, but because they are not allowed to come home, or do not dare do so now due to conditions at home.  Time to refocus on cruising, using the vessel as it was designed to be used.

The government there should enact a regulation that every vessel anchored there must sail/motor out to a government vessel stationed 10 miles out, dump, and get log book entry from crew of gov. vessel, once a week, or lose the right to anchor anywhere in the USVI's.

I am surprised that the guy collecting trash for $5 a bag is not charging more, a 900 HP boat, even running on one 300 HP motor is not economical to run.

On the plus side, though, even with the beaches closed, sun on deck, and swim off the stern!  Dinghy ashore, and walk the country roads, just avoid people as my wife and I do when we walk here.  Maybe even pick up a couple of fallen coconuts along the way to eat on board.

I have a bit of trouble sympathizing with the people on 71 footers, but the smaller vessels will be short on space to move around and keep in shape, so must go ashore or swim for healthy exercise.

If they are anchored, rather than on a mooring ball, buoy the anchor, let it go, and sail around the islands, anchoring here and there on a spare anchor, and return to the buoyed anchor to replenish stores, etc.  Just sitting on the hook in the harbor with best access to stores, water, internet and email does not make sense on the longer run.  Any cruiser should have several spare anchors, as you must expect to lose one from time to time.  They should ask the adjacent boats to keep watch to see that no one anchors too close to the buoyed anchor, so they can tie on when they return.  Sailors are good at doing that for you.

Maybe even fish some, or dive for other edible sea life, conch, clams, whatever.

The fishing should be best on the sea current lee of the islands, not the harbor, so another reason to sail some.

Joe, do you plan to carry salt water fishing gear with you?  Don't buy new, pick it up for cents on the dollar at Florida thrift stores.  I have seen very complete tackle boxes sell for less than the sinkers alone retailed for, and quality rods and reels way cheaper than poor quality knock offs.

LooseMoose

We're based here in the USVI and live on our boat. The article is mostly accurate but somewhat sensationalized. The main thing is that it's pretty much under control.

The powers that be require boats sheltering here not move their boats so that makes the advice to go sailing rather than just stay in place somewhat problematic.

As to the water and air quality here even with the influx of more cruisers than normal the local water is cleaner and the air quality better because we don't have the bareboat charterers, the cruise ships are gone, and almost no one is driving... It's surprising just how much of a difference that makes.

Norman

Thanks for the report from the scene, more accurate than the news papers or TV.  I sincerely hope that you are having a reasonably good time.  Being in the live aboard, based there, how much is your life constrained to the point that being there is not enjoyable?

How do you go off shore to dump the holding tank if you are not allowed to move the boat?

I doubt that they monitor close enough to keep you from some cruising and deep water fishing for variety.  I am a firm believer in the spirit of the law, and its intent, but not the letter of the law. Sometimes that has caused me some difficulty, but most of the time, the outcome has been quite pleasant.

I would definitely avoid going ashore at any port besides the one where my principal anchorage was located, though.

LooseMoose

It's petty much OK here. Luckily for us, the local government took the pandemic a lot more seriously than the one stateside did and, as a result, we're in much better shape.

Being on a boat we also have lots of projects to keep busy with, lots of books on the kindles, and decent wifi so we can keep up with Netflix. Hard to be bored on a boat.

As far as fishing goes, all I have to do to catch fish or lobster is jump overboard and grab a lobster or spear a Lionfish. So it does go.

Part of that is the local law (Coast Guard, DPNR, Park Service, Police) are monitoring the various anchorages and they have logged every boat's GPS position and that they are doing sweeps at least a couple of times a day. So yeah, they're keeping tabs.

We're lucky, we have a composting toilet so we only have to dump solids once a month which is easily dealt with by rowing the dinghy to shore and dropping a bag in the dumpster.

w00dy

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the read.

CapnK

Thanks and have a Grog for the on-scene and accurate reporting.  8)

Too bad that those black urchins aren't edible... :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

w00dy

Bubba the Pirate

Scary stuff.
And I might be ready to go back in the water next month.     ... and for what?!?!!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

w00dy

That's where I'm at. I've listed Mona for sale but my backup plan was to go cruising. Not sure it makes sense to go anywhere right now

Bubba the Pirate

I'm hoping to be able to wander the US East Coast yet this summer at some point. I think the islands will be slower to open but maybe there'll be somewhere to go after hurricane season.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~