Saw Dust/Composting Toilets

Started by Bob J (ex-misfits), April 30, 2020, 10:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Phantom Jim,

Was that your article in the most recent issue of GOB?
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Phantom Jim

Yes.  Good Old Boat had considered a similar article several years ago but declined to publish because of perceived, and at the time certainly justified, "public outrage" at  dumping the waste in public dumpsters.   A lot of those negative and false perceptions seem to have abated and new articles were written with more current information.  Composting toilets have become main stream now and occupy a significant enough portion of the actual marine toilets in use.

GOB and I are curious if there will be any new outcry resurface.  Kudos to their courage with this edition.
Phantom Jim

Bubba the Pirate

Very cool! And congrats. They published a couple pieces from me; almost 10 years ago. Oof, I need to get writing again!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

w00dy

Any chance you sharing the article? Not sure when I'll be able to get my hands on a GOB again.

I'm living on my boat in Boston and with the marina facilities currently shut down, using my Air Head every day :) Since I've been primarily cruising when using the CT for solids, I was always able to wait and dump the bucket offshore. I've never had to bag and put in a dumpster before. She's filling up steadily though, so I could use any tips you have to share!

skylark

One method:

Divert urine and dispose of seperately

Line a pail with a heavy duty plastic bag (trash compacter bag) or two

Mount pail under a toilet seat in a n area closed to insects, ideally with ventilation to outside

After use, add a cup or two of sawdust, cedar shavings (cage bedding material), cat litter

When half full, remove bag, double bag it and dispose in dumpster.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Congrats Jim!

Woody, I can try to email you a link for a downloadable version of the magazine. Just need an email address.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Phantom Jim

Good Old Boat has given a public access link for all to download the May/June issue
https://mailchi.mp/goodoldboat/may-2020-free-issue.

For those who want to directly email me about these toilets I can be reached at jbshell@flash.net.

w00dy, securely bag the contents and discreetly drop into a public waste dumpster.  This is legal unless the dumpster has a prohibition to such use.  Do not make a big deal out of what you are doing and no one will know or care.  There are bigger things for us to worry about now.
Phantom Jim

Owly055

It would be nice to be able to dump the composted waste in the woods somewhere away from trails to return naturally to the soil as it should... Our handling of all kinds of waste is irrational.  I use a septic system at home..... The guy who pumps septic tanks spreads the waste on a farm field... That makes good sense to me.  Mine has been pumped once in 25 years....

CapnK

According to the Humanure book, waste needs 2 years of *active composting* before it should be used to fertilize food plants in order to avoid spreading disease (I'd assume fecal coliform?). No need to wait for regular plants/flowers/bushes, though.

I'm sure it is prohibited but if you could put it out in the marsh grass itself, I'd wager it would be gone in a couple of tide cycles, and there would be lots of happy crabs in that area. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Phantom Jim

What ever one does with the waste, please make it as discreet and as sanitary as possible.  If one wishes to bury it, the guidelines for trail waste burial is 6" or more deeper, I think.  Scattering it on top of the ground will certainly make obvious what has been done and is a good way to get the authorities involved.   

Human waste disposal has been a very heated topic and let us not be the cause of it becoming worse.
Phantom Jim