News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

1905 Sailing Book

Started by EdD, June 26, 2006, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdD

While searching the web for catboat information I came across an "online" book titled "Boat Sailing In Fair Weather and Foul", by Captain A.J. Kenealy, published 1905.  The online link is: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/kenealy/kenealy0.html
(don't know why the link isn't "hot" but I'm sure someone will tell me)

I love old books and old-time sailing lore and found this one to be fascinating, not only for the information, but also the writing style and turn-of-the-century sailing language. I was not familiar with the book, but it looks like it could be an old classic.  Check it out.  I'll work on the link thingie.

EdD

EdD

OK, so the link isn't active until the message is posted....I get it now.

EdD

CapnK

Bumping this topic...

Ran across a link to this book doing some research, and thought I recalled it being posted here. Interesting stuff. :)

Here's a quote from Chapter XI, concerning rigging:

QuoteThe running bowsprit is almost obsolete nowadays, but the device still finds favor with certain owners of cutters and yawls of large size. It certainly has its advantages. The length of the bowsprit is reduced as the jibs are shifted, until when the spitfire or storm-jib is set the bowsprit is run so far inboard that it looks like a mere stump. In a seaway the benefit of this is obvious, the weight being materially reduced forward and the pitching consequently lessened. The jib also sits well and does its work, and is far preferable to that horror of horrors the "bobbed" jib of a sloop, which always makes a sailor's flesh creep when he sees it.

How it has managed to survive is a marvel to me. It is a lubberly and slovenly device not good enough for a scow.

Love it. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

maxiSwede

Now that's aesthetics in it's pure form  ;D

The legendary Colin Archer designed Norwegian 'sköyte' or rescue cutters all had retractable bowsprits which also protected them from snapping in rough seas.

google Colin Archer and there's alot of goodies on these boats. They still build them in wood in Norway, and there is a yearly wooden boat festival on the south coast where you can find a bunch of them...
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com