hello! and a quick check in...

Started by lance on cloud nine, July 07, 2020, 09:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lance on cloud nine

I have been following this page for years, and just thought I would say hello and do a quick check in. hoping that it might prompt you to do the same.
the past several years my cruising has been minimal, due to extended family members needing health attention.
I am home based in Indiana but still keep an O'Day 23 fairly ready to go in SW Florida, with a van set up with bed to make the 1000 mile sprint there as easy as can be made.
I am almost done with rehabbing an O'Day 26 out on my driveway...this will soon be our winter boat in Florida.
I am lucky that my wife Bianca is still enthused with sailing, and she and I race Y-Flyer sailboats here in the midwest.
I just turned 61, time flies as if I'm strapped to a rocket.
so, whats new with you?
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Phantom Jim

We are doing well in the Houston, Texas area.  Have not gone sailing/cruising or anything.  We are too old to catch the Covid and have a happy outcome.  Maybe will do something in the fall when it gets cooler.  It is hot as Hades here at the moment.

Y'all take care, ya'hear!
Phantom Jim

Crazer

I just got back from a week long cruise around the DelMarVa peninsula, which was a lot of fun. Not much sailing, we went counter-clockwise (south down the bay and then north up the Atlantic coast), banking on the usual southwesterlies to carry us north. At first it looked like the plan was going to pay off as we were projected to hit the ocean side of the peninsula right as a front came through with 20-ish knots. Unfortunately it came through a day earlier than expected and we missed it, getting most of the wind as we motored south from Solomon's to Matthews. We did have some problems getting off the dock in Annapolis, and then chose to shelter in Solomon's when some thunderstorms passed through so that didn't help. At least the wind kept us cool and the motor sail up the coast was very pleasant anyways. Honestly the northern leg of the trip was the easiest part, a little slow (as expected) once the tide turned against us in the Delaware Bay but pretty calm with unseasonably cool temperatures. Anyways, now I'm working on the issues that came up along the way (mostly leaks) and looking ahead to a planned trip to Bermuda next May. Also changing jobs, starting at a canvas shop much closer to home. Plenty going on!

Hope everyone out there is staying safe and having fun, however you are able to right now.
-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD

Norman

:)    Avery,  your circumnavigation is one I would like to do, should have done decades ago.  No leg longer than an easy day without an accessible harbor, outstanding access to weather information without expensive gear.

A more complete narrative would be much enjoyed by more than just me.  I am of the opinion that such circumnavigations in late spring and early summer are best done as you did, the wind is most likely to be favorable most of the trip.  Back through the C&D canal will be motored anyway, so into the prevailing wind is the direction to do it.  ;)

One aspect of the normal conditions long the coast, with prevailing wind from the west, you  have a protecting shore, so the waves are moderate in most weather even when barely in sight of land.  Another is that when the sun gets hot, the beach creates an onshore breeze, even on an otherwise glassy day, and by staying close in, 10 feet or more of water, you can still sail well.  8)

Norman

Crazer

Hi Norman, I'll try and do a proper write up of the trip this weekend. It's funny, someone else who documented their trip in a magazine (I forget which one) used the same justification (prevailing south westerlies) for going the other way around. Go figure. The standard I hold myself to is "did I make the best decision using the information I had at the time?" and I think my decision to go counterclockwise this trip meets that standard.
-Avery

Cape Dory 28 SV "Fayaway"
        Annapolis, MD