Larry Pardey passes on to fidlers Green

Started by Frank, July 27, 2020, 06:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

After a multi year battle with Parkinson's and Parkinson's dementia, Larry slipped away.
A more passionate sailor would be hard to find...
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Yes, saw that first thing this morning when I woke. May he finally rest in peace. Such an inspiration for many of us.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

Just saw that myself, someone sent a link to Lin's Bookface post, so I copied it for y'all.

Fair winds and Thanks SO Much, Larry!!!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

sad loss for sure. I've enjoyed everything I've ever read (and learned) from the two of them
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

He was a real inspiration. I asked him once, what do you do to prepare for a big storm? He said, take a sleeping pill.

I think that Lin and Larry know the true path to living a good life, more than anyone else I have ever known.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CapnK

Quote from: skylark on July 28, 2020, 09:46:32 AM
...take a sleeping pill.

Don't recall seeing that tactic discussed in their Storm book, but it makes sense... :D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Norman

You may be making the wrong assumption on the sleeping pill.

Preparation for an impending storm, not yet arriving, can best be getting a critical amount of physical and mental rest before the conditions become demanding.  With two of them, one taking a sleeping pill, and the other dealing with the rising wind and waves, would result in one of them being fully ready for a long battle with the elements.

A variation of this thinking was our radio team overseas.  When our artillery unit moved, we remained on the air until the last vehicle had departed.  Often, we were taking down our antenna after the sun set, and made our move in the dark.  On arrival at our new location, we went full on until we were on the air, then the DRIVER was ordered to go to sleep, regardless of the time of day or night, to assure HE was rested if we moved again.  Our lives depended on his alertness as we relocated.

After he had a full night of sleep, he returned to the normal schedule of duty, day work only.

If Larry had been solo, he might not have felt safe with a sleeping pill with a storm approaching, but if he hove to while waiting, the pill may still have been good prep for the days of demanding sea conditions and potential equipment failures.

It is important to be at your best when the conditions reach their worst.

Norman, never ready for a storm at sea!

CapnK

Excellent observation, Norman!  I was thunking about it from a singlehanders viewpoint - far and very different from a 2 or more souls aboard situation!

Muchas gracias! ;) ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)