News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The "car"

Started by CapnK, November 07, 2020, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Cruisers often refer to their dinghy as their 'car', and I've been on the hunt.

I've had/have inflatables, they are OK but are pretty much just motor boats. I'd like one that could sail as well, maybe even row half-decent, so it's a hard dinghy for me.

I had a Walker Bay 8 and got good service from it. Not very stable but fun to sail, it rowed & motored OK, and being plastic was tough and won't scuff the boat. But I decided a while back that as good as it was, there was probably better and I would have to build it.

I've been looking and looking for a while, and I think I have found the answer at last  - the Duo. They are 10' LOA, lightweight, nestable, quick and easy to build, and cheap what with needing only 2 sheets of ply. Sure sounds like it is only lacking 'free beer' to be perfect. ;D

Here's a link, and if you search there are some videos of it on YouTube.
https://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/46-beach-cats-and-dinghies/420-duo-10ft-sailrow-dinghy
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

That looks pretty good. I wonder if it can be assembled in the water?

My porta-bote is ok; but kind of gets in the way when lashed to the lifelines, and is a real chore to assemble. And you can't board from the water. And there can be trouble towing it. I was considering an inflatable, but don't really want to go that way. I hope you build it. I would love to hear how it works.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

Don't know thing a about the boat in  question, but I've towed dinghies both inflatable and hard for over 12,l00  miles- twice across the Gulf of Mexico and twice across the Gulf Stream,,3months in the Bahamas with no difficulties at all

All things considered I prefer the infllatables
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera