Wooden boat work with minimal tools, youtube

Started by Cyric30, March 21, 2021, 01:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

I found this channel from my browsings, i thought some folks might find it interesting how its done in other places, without all the fancy bells and whistles. i make no comment for or against any of this work, not my place as my ignorance of the subject is great.

but i do fine the ability to get things done with what you have pretty amazing.
the rebuilding starts several videos in if you want to skip to that.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SailingYaba

w00dy

Wow! Bought a rotten 70' schooner as their first boat....breaking out the popcorn :p

Seriously though, thanks for sharing.

w00dy

I spent some time last night watching these episodes and thinking about this situation. Some of the comments are pretty brutal. While it seems like many of them are unmercifully pessimistic, I think anyone who has slogged through a long boat project and has told themselves "never again" understands the reality of a project like this and what it means to delay other goals/dreams of sailing and cruising. I have no doubt that the advice offered is with the best of intentions.

I can empathize with the starry eyed optimism that would jump into a situation like this. Before I bought Mona, I briefly considered buying a cheap, old, rotten, very large, wooden boat in the PNW. I had actually spent time apprenticing as a wooden shipwright on large, traditional boats and had fixed up a smaller wooden vessel at that point, so I had enough experience to have an inkling of what I would be in for. After viewing it and thinking about it, I'd like to think my own experience and better judgement kept me from pursuing it further. I must admit that Raylay threatening in no uncertain terms to break up with me probably also had something to do with my decision. Mostly, I think I drew from my own experience of previous wooden boat work to extrapolate an understanding of the costs, in time and money, that would be required and wisely decided it wasn't worth it.

I also empathize with the more curmudgeonly commenters, unafraid to point out harsh realities, such as this fellow Pez:

QuoteI'm going to have to stop watching YouTube sailing videos. Watching clueless wanna-be YouTube "stars" with absolutely no knowledge of boats, sailing , weather, seamanship, mechanics, navigation or anything else required to go blue water sailing buy completely unsuitable boats and think just because they want to they can sail the world just makes me angry. Pumps keeping your boat from sinking is not a "fun detail". What ever happened to starting in a sailing dinghy to learn the basics, then slowly graduating to larger boats as your skill level develops and you become competent sailors. Having sailed for more than 50 years I can tell you with some degree of knowledge that unless you can get your supporters to stump up hundreds of thousands of dollars for repairs that boat will never safely sail anywhere. Hank Armantrout makes valid points in his comments, Yaba is no blue water cruiser. Everyone who ever dreamed of going to sea wants the biggest boat possible, I did, but it didn't take long to realize that's a mistake. In severe weather, and you WILL get hammered eventually, a big boat becomes an out of control monster which at best will scare the bejesus out of you and at worst cost you and anyone else aboard your life. Just imagine for a moment 70 knots of wind and waves higher than your mast...it happens!  I found that for single handed sailing a 30ft steel cutter was ideal for me, she was a strongly built boat which carried me safely across thousands of blue water miles and some weather that still makes me shudder when I remember it to this day. I'm not being negative folks just realistic, your boat is all that keeps you alive out on the ocean and crossing your fingers does nothing at all.

Anyway, its plain to see that this couple is working their way up a very steep learning curve. It will be interesting to see where they end up. Seems like there's a good chance they can capitalize on the video monetization to completely fund their rebuild. I think it's kind of cool that Youtube advertising money will end up in the hands of traditional craftsman and keep the trade alive a bit longer. So, as much as I want to roll my eyes at the naivete of this couple, I'm
glad they've given other people a chance to learn from their mistakes and showcase a Brazillian wooden boat yard.

Cyric, if you're into traditional boat construction, especially by native craftsman, I think you will really enjoy this video of the construction of a junk rigged Malaysian schooner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwwkWvqvON4&t=93s

It's really well done, extensively documenting the shipwrights and traditional construction techniques. Also, I'm in love with the junk schooner :p

Cyric30

Hay W00dy
Thanks for the Link
im not really into wooden boats really, but i guess what i find interesting is the way the ppl in the yard do and accomplish things with what they have. you dont see them going out and getting some tool to accomplish a task they do it with what they have.