Nice Afternoon on the Water

Started by wolverine, September 03, 2022, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolverine

The day started with a call from my friend Charlie.  He lives in New Bern and whenever he's in Oriental he calls to see if I'd like to sail back with him aboard is pristine 34' Pacific Seacraft.  I did, but we had plans to attend Oriental's annual Pirate Jam.  A concert on the water.  Spectators come by fishing boats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, dinghies, even innertubes.  We dropped anchor within 200 yards from the stage and our daughter set out lunch that consisted of fried chicken, hushpuppies, coleslaw, potato wedges, mac & cheese, and potato salad.  Our 9 year old grandson was dressed like a pirate including a drawn on beard.  The wind was twice what was predicted, but the direction kept our stern pointing at the stage and the cabin cool.  We expected only to stay an hour as our youngest grandson just turned one and we didn't think he'd like being cramped on a boat.  We couldn't be more wrong.  He climbed and explored the entire boat.  After 5 hours, it was my wife who grew tired and wanted to leave.  My daughter watched as several small sailboats maneuvered through the crowded creek and announced she wanted one.  Of course she also fell in love with the Flicka that anchored not far from us.  The concert ended and I asked our shy grandson if he'd like to pilot the boat up the creek to our slip.  His eyes lit up and he did a fine job bringing us back.  Our son in law is not a water person, but after today he asked when we could actually go sailing.  The day was a success and a great start to the Labor Day weekend.

Be safe and enjoy your time on the water all!

(i'm the fat guy in the red shirt)

Compac 19/II
Seidelman 295

CharlieJ

Was in New Bern once around that time- really cool- wish I could do it again
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera