Ian…. Our good Capt K, and Georgetown Landing Marina.

Started by s/v Faith, September 29, 2022, 09:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I heard from Kurt today that Ian was headed his way and his marina was calling for a mandatory evacuation. 

He has quite a fleet to move out…. Like 7 boats or something.   I was there two days ago (being forcefed rum)… and the marina was not planning to sorte so I headed on up the road (in Virginia now)…

Send good thoughts to Kurt - and his faithful Crew Dogger Barque. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Jim_ME

Yes, When I saw that Ian was in the Atlantic, picking up steam and heading for SC, I've been thinking about Kurt.

You keep safe, Capn K, and crew too!

CharlieJ

Just talked to Kurt on the phone he’s got help coming and he’s gonna be moving the boat tomorrow he’s only gonna move a mile should have time but it’ll be there tomorrow afternoon at least Savannah for anymore at least it isn’t A4 anymore at least it isn’t A4 anymore
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Farked by the forecasters...at every turn. Winds got much stronger early early AM, so tho' I had help come down this AM, it is impossible (or damned near it) to move boats.

FFFFFFFFF______. Fill in the blank. Times 10 or more.

So I put out another couple hundred feet of lines and deployed a half dozen more fenders and moved things which had chafe and did any/everything else I cn think of. Now I'm at y shed, standing in a puddle in my boots, dripping, and having a 10AM rum. Fuggit. Not getting drunk - just trying to drop the internal stress meter a notch or two. Will check on/maintain boats throughout day and then, after dark? What happens then is in the hands of whichever Deity is in charge of poor boats that have been caught out thru no fault of their own. I'm gonna stay at a friends house or in the van, and try to sleep and will see what things look like in the morning light of Saturday.

Hurricanes that start with "I" all seem to SUCK. Right down on top of this place...

Ah well.

I'll let you know what happens.

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

PS - Good thing I had a backup bottle o'rum, after Craig drank all of my Appletons.
And the IPA's...

Not sure which it was that made him get naked and ballroom dance out there on the dock when he thought everyone was asleep.

Creative use of that fender though, Craig!

It's getting thoroughly cleaned today.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Hang in there and keep the sense of humor, will be thinking about you for the next 24
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

As odd as it may sound, Fortune smiled and we had a direct hit by Ian.

Had we been on the east side as forecast, we would have had 4+ hours of 40-50kts coming up 6 or so miles of S fetch, *after* the preceding 24 hrs of 25-40kts of NE.

Getting hit dead-on, right as the NE wind stopped, it went W, where the fetch is measured in yards, not miles. The hours of strong NE was truly nasty in every way, I think the Southerlies would have been horrific.

We made it through, preliminarily all intact. I'll do a more complete check tomoorow; right now it's time for a "Phew!" libations. :)

Wish I had some Appleton's. Or an IPA...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

I was driving back from the VA Hospital with Dad and heard on NPR that Ian had landed at Georgetown. Probably the first time I had ever heard that town  name up here. This can't be good, I thought. Never occurred to me that there could be a silver lining in such a direct hit, as you described.

Godot

Geeze...Kurt, you've had to deal with so many hurricanes over the years, and dodged so many bullets...maybe it's time to cash in go someplace less...energetic.

Happy you came through ok. Again.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay