The "other" side of cruising

Started by Captain Smollett, June 30, 2006, 01:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I ran across this link with a discussion among big power boater cruisers today.

Fascinating contrast to the discussion on sailing boards like this one.  Some points that caught my attention:

• All their boats seem to be BIG.
  • And use a LOT of fuel (2 gal per hour??  I can go months on two gallons.*  hehe)  I mean, these guys are talking about spending $1000 at the pump to cruise for about 100 hours!  That's only a touch over four days.
  • Some don't like anchoring because it gets the deck dirty

It's a different mindset, sure.  I never really thought about just how different that mindset is.

* I understand that a sailboat motoring will use some fuel, but a $1000 fill-up for a couple of days of cruising?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

starcrest

thats kinda' like why I left phlorider'--I could only find one place with slips available.an' I  couda' moved in yesterday.they had lotsa slips----only 36 dollars per foot per month----based on a 40 foot minimum.75 bux more fer' liveaboard--an'ya hadta' pay electric.also ya had to have a verifyable net worth of at least 1.1 million dollars.
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Captain Smollett

Here's another thread from the same forum; this one deals with motor sailing vs just motoring

I am continually awed by the different mindset.

Two comments of interest:

Most of the [motor sailers] and sail boat I see that want to get some place are motoring.

and

Most rag boats spend more time under power then they like to admit - I know I did.

Wow.

I know the answer to this...but how about ya'll?  Are you on a motor boat more than a sail boat?

(I'm left thinking their observation point is fixed to an area where motoring is the prudent, seamanlike thing to do).

Plus, they are talking $100,000 - $200,000 like pocket change for a vessel to  cross an ocean.  What is the 'average' price for a small blue water sailer?  Certainly less than $50,000, and many much less than that?

Certainly not the SailFar or KISS mentality.  Different Strokes, and all that.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

EdD

I went to the first link about "big power boat cruisers"...very interesting.  It is hard to generate much sympathy for people who are "driving" boats that cost more than my house and are complaining about the price of gas. 

Most of the posts complain about gas prices and no-wake zones.   Hmmm, I wonder if they have ever considered sailing.....Nah, to much work.

EdD

AdriftAtSea

Actually, sailboats aren't all that much more work...if you have a good way of self-steering, and you're out on the open ocean where the winds are fairly constant.   I took my friend's 14 year-old son out on Buzzards Bay on Friday.  Once out on the bay.  Since we decided just to sail for fun... we set the course, set the sails to match the wind, and then kicked back and relaxed for an hour... Other than keeping an eye out for lunatic powerboats and fishing trawlers...not much to do at all.  Tacked the boat, and then reset the sails, and did that for another hour...and so on.

All of the real work was putting up the sails, and taking down the sails, and getting in and out of the harbor. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

EdD

The satire was obviously lost here.

EdD

AdriftAtSea

Generally, I'm only motoring to get in and out of the harbor.  There is a swing bridge, and a few of the bridge operators will be nasty if you have your sails up, even if you are motoring through... so I generally leave the sails down until I'm out of the harbor.  UGH. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Good thread Captain Smollett  ;D

QuoteI know the answer to this...but how about ya'll?  Are you on a motor boat more than a sail boat?

First, I admit I motor more then I would like.  I will also say that I have spent entire days on a trip where I was the only sailboat that I saw sailing.  I had an MG convertible once, and would see all the others on the road with their tops up.....  what a shame. 

I am making another delivery this coming weekend, and fully expect to sail the boat down (including passing through opening bridges).

On the last delivery I only spent about 6 hours out of an 8 day trip with no sails up.  The rest of the time I was either sailing or at least motor sailing.  I would rather make 2.5 knots under sail then 5.5 motoring.  If I could not make 2 knots then I would start the 'iron genny.'

This weekend, our YC had a raft up to watch the fireworks.  I saw most of the sailboats that were out on the river (probably 50-75 sailboats) motor out to their spots.  I sailed out, and saw two other boats under sail.  One was an S2 in our club come out on their main, and the other was the other Ariel in our club  ;D . 

The next morning, I sailed off the raft up and had a wonderful morning in very light winds making my way back to the marina.  The quiet was wonderful, and well worth the extra time it took me with out the motor.

There are times when one may need to motor for safety, or when there is no wind.  I believe that more often the decision is made not for these reasons but because the experience is not worth the time, or extra effort in the estimate of the capt / crew.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.