News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

long weekend

Started by Frank, July 01, 2006, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Here in Canada , this is a long weekend " Canada Day "....I'm pretty sure USA has a long weekend now too. I put my docks in at home this week...I'll finish up today and launch the suncat. It is SOOooo nice to just walk out your back yard for a quick sail if there's a ripple on the water. Hope to clean the garage up..the truck up..then be on the water as much as possible. Hope everyone has a GREAT long weekend and we all get some sailing in. Have fun !!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Went sailing yesterday, probably going today...and tomorrow. Posted a story bout yesterday on my blog.  Go take a look.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

xroyal

Quote from: Frank on July 01, 2006, 09:50:50 AM
Here in Canada , this is a long weekend " Canada Day "....I'm pretty sure USA has a long weekend now too. I put my docks in at home this week...I'll finish up today and launch the suncat. It is SOOooo nice to just walk out your back yard for a quick sail if there's a ripple on the water. Hope to clean the garage up..the truck up..then be on the water as much as possible. Hope everyone has a GREAT long weekend and we all get some sailing in. Have fun !!

Frank,

I hate the expression, but your personal dock in your backyard "is to die for"! Do you have the Flicka in to? The closest I've come to that is a cottage we had in New Hampshire with a Sunfish on the dock.

Our local, little yacht club sponsored class races this weekend with the likes of Santana 20s, San Juan 21s, Hobie cats, etc. Lake racers from Oregon, WA and CA join in the fun. Many camp out on the shore by the club. After the races the bar is full of racing chat and the barbecue is well attended. One happy bunch.

Happy holiday on ya!
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Frank

I live on the Ottawa river here in Canada...this is my 'back yard'....makes sailing really easy !!

xroyal

You make such fine choices. Just beautiful sir!  :)
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

AdriftAtSea

Nice backyard... how do you mow the water??? :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

VERY    C A R E F U L L Y ! ! !

EdD

Beautiful Boat!  Beautiful Location!  I'm envious

Just curious, how long is the sailing season where you live?  Of course the great thing about the Suncat is that you can trailer here anywhere when the snow flies up north.

Us southern boaters shouldn't be to smug about our winter sailing opportunities.  Our problem is usually no wind in the summer.  I guess it is a trade-off.

Anyhow, keep those awesome pictures and trip reports comming.

EdD

s/v Faith

Frank,

Beautiful set up you have there.  Thanks for the picture.

My dad sketched a remarkably similar image of a dock behind the family cabin on Plat lake in MI.  It hangs on the wall next to my desk and is a great inspiration to me when I am here in the office.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

Frank Frank Frank, Some people have it rough in this life. I am sorry about the things you have to bare, it can not be all peaches and cream for everyone. Hang in there! I'm sure you have the power to deal with it. It will be a struggle for a while but I'm sure you can adapt to life on the river! That is how our human spirit is, we adapt.
I'll tell you what, we'll come and trade places with you for say a month a year during the summer , spring or fall, you chose. That way you can have a break from the suffering of river life. No no , it's ok, you do not have to thank us  ;D ;D ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Frank

Sailing season is basically mid may (still very cool) to late sept (again very cool). Ice starts to form by early Nov. and the river ussually freezes over by late Dec. until mid April. The view stays great though, as the seasons change...fall colours are super in the mountains across..., snow storms look awesome outside with the fireplace on and a sunny winter day looks beautiful and bright with the snow. Then spring as the buds again begin on the trees and "life" comes back to all plants....I honestly couldn't imagine life without the seasons. Florida sunshine ALL year would get boring.....but then I'm from here , so this IS normal to me. You tend to appreciate and enjoy the beauty of the seasons because you know they are short and won't last....just like you should with  "life"  . This pic is late Nov. before total freeze up

Frank

PS...note the lack of homes/cottages on the river...I guess this really is kinda 'the boonies'. That's why we say  " I come from up north where men are men and sheep are nervous"...........only joking....honest !!!!!!!!!..REALLY !!!

xroyal

A kindred spirit Frank. I was raised in the Blue Ridge Mountain area of Virginia replete with all the seasons. Later I spent 15 years of near mono climate 10 min North of the Golden Gate bridge. As of June 22,06 I've been living 14 years in Oregon, 75 miles North of 14,000'+ snow capped Mt Shasta (year round). I couldn't wait for the snow and ice to leave this past winter and now I'm looking forward to the roar in the fireplace vs my a/c.

No berths yet in my marina so figure I'll sail with others this year and tweak my boat on the side. There's only a few lake berths that stay ice free, and they are spoken for. I'm none too anxious to have to worry about the boat sinking under a big snow &/or ice load and paying for a berth in the process.

Viva the seasons! I've had 2 trips to Florida and 3 to islands in the Carribean. To me, palm trees and beaches are for visiting, not a steady diet.
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Frank

I imagine it was beautiful growing up in the mountains of Virginia. From my experience in Virginia , it would seem that parents put priority on teaching their kids to be friendly and welcoming. Hats off to ya and Virginia's fine folks.

Pixie Dust

Guys, I just got back from WV and had a wonderful visit spending time in my old home state of 30 yrs.   I love playing in the snow, but do not have any desire to live in it again.  It is absolutely beautiful and I love the seasons and fires in the fireplace and the scenery when that white blanket covers that ground, however, I also love the south.  Of course, the mountains hold their own beauty that one cannot describe adequately with words.  One reason I settled in Tallahassee was because it still has seasonal changes, lots of trees, canopy roads, cold enough weather on occasion for sweaters, sweatshirts and fires in the fireplace.  I can also drive an hour or two and have year round sailing.  I enjoy a little cold weather sailing with a cup of hot cocoa in my gloved hand and feeling the cold wind on my cheeks and later some hot soup for dinner.  I am a warm weather kind of girl, but still enjoy finding a little snow to play in every now and then.  I just have to travel a little farther now to get to it.   :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2